Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1554681  by dha10001

So what are we looking at here? Do we expect the additional 6th track will end at bumper blocks, or will it merge with the northmost track? (Can't recall the number off top of head. Will the platform connect seamlessly to the existing side platform? I imagine it must to accommodate ADA. Looks like some major work will need to be done to move those catenary supports.
 #1555293  by CTG

dha10001 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:38 pm So what are we looking at here? Do we expect the additional 6th track will end at bumper blocks, or will it merge with the northmost track? (Can't recall the number off top of head. Will the platform connect seamlessly to the existing side platform? I imagine it must to accommodate ADA. Looks like some major work will need to be done to move those catenary supports.
My understanding from the project documents is that the 6th track will end with a bumper block. The platform will connect seamlessly with the current Track 5 platform. Passengers getting off an arriving New Canaan shuttle would walk toward the front of the train make a quick left / quick right at the end of the platform and be on the current Track 5 platform.

Ideally they would have the express to GCT depart from Track 5 (current northernmost) and the local from Track 3 (inner) to make the connection easier for arriving shuttle passengers -- which is the reverse of the current setup.
 #1555648  by Ridgefielder

CTG wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:22 pm
dha10001 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:38 pm So what are we looking at here? Do we expect the additional 6th track will end at bumper blocks, or will it merge with the northmost track? (Can't recall the number off top of head. Will the platform connect seamlessly to the existing side platform? I imagine it must to accommodate ADA. Looks like some major work will need to be done to move those catenary supports.
My understanding from the project documents is that the 6th track will end with a bumper block. The platform will connect seamlessly with the current Track 5 platform. Passengers getting off an arriving New Canaan shuttle would walk toward the front of the train make a quick left / quick right at the end of the platform and be on the current Track 5 platform.

Ideally they would have the express to GCT depart from Track 5 (current northernmost) and the local from Track 3 (inner) to make the connection easier for arriving shuttle passengers -- which is the reverse of the current setup.
Seems to me that this could be used for more than just the New Canaan shuttle. In normal times there are SLE and Danbury trains that originate/terminate in Stamford. This would be a good way to keep those trains stowed and keep the through tracks clear.
 #1555651  by dha10001

Yes, I wonder how it will be operated. With the shuttle train kept to this track, I wonder if schedules will be modified for the NYC bound local train to be at the platform when the express arrives. Right now the typical off-peak practice is for the shuttle train to come out of the yard a few minutes - several minutes after the express has left, right?

A local train waiting on track 5 with doors open could theoretically provide an easy crossing over to the island platform for arriving NC branch customers. I don't know if that kind of crossing pattern is something the railroad would want to encourage, but it'd be a whole lot more convenient than going up and over.

Ultimately, Bridgeport station is going to need significant expansion (or Barnum, if we're gonna play it that way), and I could see this informing that design. Ideally the stub end track would be between the local and express tracks to better facilitate transfers via an elongated and widened island platform.
 #1555704  by ExCon90

That arrangement in the second paragraph sounds like a good idea; it's worked fine at Jamaica for many years -- and they're both MTA, so it's not like it hasn't been tried in house.

(Related question: is Jamaica the only U. S. station where that's regularly done or ever has been?)
 #1555725  by Jeff Smith

As a passenger, I always thought it was a bit risky; if the far doors close, you're stuck. I know on tracks 5 and 4, both sets of doors open on arrival, whether local or express.

I got some shots of the track 7 platform a few months ago; doesn't look like much has been done. The great thing, even though they can't bring it in any closer to 5, is that they are not going to foul tracks crossing over, except for the NC through trains.
 #1555750  by CTG

ExCon90 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:57 pm That arrangement in the second paragraph sounds like a good idea; it's worked fine at Jamaica for many years -- and they're both MTA, so it's not like it hasn't been tried in house.

(Related question: is Jamaica the only U. S. station where that's regularly done or ever has been?)
I think the opposite would actually work better. Shuttle arrives on Track 7, Express comes in on Track 5 and Local on Track 3. The Local is a put in from the yard and in the current setup has to cross in front of the Express to get to Track 5.

Most shuttle passengers will want the express anyway. The express train can be a bridge to the local train, or passengers can go up and over for the local before the express arrives.
 #1579495  by NH2060

daybeers wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:33 pm I saw the track today, first time I'd seen it. I don't understand it and why it's taken so long. Oh right, it's done by CTDOT!
And it only took 9 years since the project was first studied! (surprised they didn't do subsequent studies :wink: )
 #1579508  by daybeers

NH2060 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:58 am
daybeers wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:33 pm I saw the track today, first time I'd seen it. I don't understand it and why it's taken so long. Oh right, it's done by CTDOT!
And it only took 9 years since the project was first studied! (surprised they didn't do subsequent studies :wink: )
At least they're not TXDOT :wink:
 #1582807  by Jeff Smith

It seems to be moving along a bit quicker now. I ride the New Canaan line occasionally and I'm always on the lookout. The retaining wall work and stairwells along South State St are all down; the catenary gantries that will replace existing towers all seem to be up, just waiting for wire to be attached and the former gantries removed. At that point, they should be able to install and move track as required. The NC connection was never convenient, and now it will be less so. Operationally, it will certainly help.

Now, if they can do something about that hulking, nasty station....