Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1555169  by bostontrainguy

All you guys are really being harsh on R&P and you may be justified. I really don't know. If it becomes true then they go to the head of the class for the scoop. If false their credibility and reputation, which apparently is pretty low here to begin with, is absolutely gone. Do you guys think he is just making this story up?

Is Chop still around?
 #1555172  by MEC407

I, too, was wondering what happened to Chop. ANR&P was pretty well respected when he was running it: there were plenty of people inside the industry who were willing to pay the not-insignificant subscription fee.
 #1555173  by CN9634

Chop reaching his mid-70s at the time sold the publication maybe round 2017? So It’s been under new ownership a few years.

I’m a firm believer you choose your own path and especially in journalism. You want to report rumors based on “exclusive” and unnamed sources? Be the only publication pushing said info? Not cross check or verify before publishing? That’s on you, nothing harsh about it. Also bringing on board the worlds greatest railfan as a “journalist” was categorically a mistake, we all know that by now. A person who stokes their own ego by having “exclusive” information that turns out to be largely made up and spreading as fact is a cancer to our industry.
 #1555174  by bostontrainguy

For what it's worth. This is from the R&P author's Linkin profile:

Consulting Director
Conrail
Oct 2014 - Feb 2017 2 years 5 months

Mt. Laurel, NJ

Led effort to rebrand a great company that had become practically invisible since being absorbed into the industry in 1999. In 2017, Conrail was named Regional Railroad of the Year by Railway Age magazine.

Maybe he still has a few connections?
 #1555175  by newpylong

bostontrainguy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:14 am All you guys are really being harsh on R&P and you may be justified. I really don't know. If it becomes true then they go to the head of the class for the scoop. If false their credibility and reputation, which apparently is pretty low here to begin with, is absolutely gone. Do you guys think he is just making this story up?

Is Chop still around?
There are some pretty massive assertions in that article. I likely would have gone about the wording of the entire thing quite differently that's all. Those EVPs were on the train and did look at the railroad. Does it mean the deal is done and CSAO is moving to New England though?
 #1555217  by gokeefe

Certainly not of course. That being said if there's independent confirmation that Conrail was indeed onboard the train and there is no rational explanation why that might occur (perhaps discussion about some arcane interchange arrangements for customers) then in my opinion "yes" it is quite significant information indeed

Newpy,

Can you ever recall anything unusual relating to Conrail from your time? Maybe some kind of special switching or way billing arrangement for some particular customer? Perhaps this has something to do with intermodal arrangements?

Regardless, if none of the above then again, "seems pretty significant". Especially given COVID and travel restrictions this appearance is out of the ordinary to say the least.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1555222  by Shortline614

All this talk about the credibility of R&P made me think that a Pacific Railnews (Railnews) type publication would be great for us "amature railroad observers." I guess Railfan & Railroad and Railpace would be the closest we have to that today. You could make it online only since physical magazines are in decline.
 #1555242  by Gilbert B Norman

newpylong wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:59 am Those EVPs were on the train and did look at the railroad. Does it mean the deal is done and CSAO is moving to New England though?
Honestly, does anyone really know what the motive was with this Executrain move? Apparently, the publication "breaking" this story has a hisory of "creative journalism", and as the band on stage "vamps" away awaiting the headliner, it's easy to seize on a report like this that to date no recognized newssource has noted.

For all we know, Timmy offered up this joyride to the guys and gals so he could hit on their pocketbooks to raise $$$$ for Trump. With Trump's $B standing very much in question at this time, "he needs it".
 #1555347  by ccutler

I can't imagine there being any material amount of interchange between any of the Conrail zones and PanAm. Railcar movements under 500 miles are pretty uncommon these days, because trucks are in very competitive for shorter hauls. There may be some paper hauls from Maine, I can't imagine what else. You'd think PanAm could haul Poland Spring in insulated cars to warehouses in NJ or Philadelphia, but that's just not happening.
 #1555350  by gokeefe

They use shipping containers ... No need for insulated boxcars ... Even in the dead of winter they just "tuck them in" with blankets ... (I kid you not).

#1555351  by MEC407

Didn't they have an oopsie with some loads of water that froze?
 #1555364  by gokeefe

Possibly some time ago but I don't think it has been a recurring issue. I also recall that might have happened because of some kind of problem with transit time on that particular run. They have to keep moving in the winter.

#1555381  by 690

Pretty sure that was CN/SLR that froze Poland Springs loads, not Pan Am. Pan Am is pretty good about not letting the loads sit too long.
 #1555385  by gokeefe

Interesting. First I've heard they were moving any bottled water at all.

#1555388  by 690

Yeah, they used to send it west when CN was still involved with intermodal out of Auburn.