• Track ownership through Tower 55 (Fort Worth, TX)

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

by WhartonAndNorthern

Originally, there were two east-west tracks (T&P, later MoPac, and now UP), and three north-south tracks (SP, ATSF, and MKT) coming in to Tower 55 with T&P having "control" as first RR. At some point, the north-south part was downgraded to two lines with I guess the SP trackage disappearing (maybe following the UP merger?).

A third track was added back recently due to congestion. How is the ownership of the three tracks divided now?
  by Backshophoss

Tower was SP now turned into a CP by the "borg" UP. BNSF is at UP DS mercy no matter what. :grimacing:
  by WhartonAndNorthern

Backshophoss wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:15 pm Tower was SP now turned into a CP by the "borg" UP. BNSF is at UP DS mercy no matter what. :grimacing:
They were always at mercy of UP since T&P/MOPAC/UP was first railroad and controlled the diamond.
  by John_Perkowski

Backshophoss wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:15 pm Tower was SP now turned into a CP by the "borg" UP. BNSF is at UP DS mercy no matter what. :grimacing:
Lest we forget, Mr. Buffett’s Railroad consists of:

Chicago, Burlington and Quincy
Northern Pacific
Great Northern
Seattle, Portland and Spokane
Frisco
Plus bits and pieces of other roads here and there

Mr. Buffett’s Raiload isn’t exactly not a Borg, either.
  by Backshophoss

But they are a the mercy of the Omaha DS's as is Amtrak coming off the TRE trackage. :grimacing:
  by eolesen

John_Perkowski wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:14 pm
Lest we forget, Mr. Buffett’s Railroad consists of:

Chicago, Burlington and Quincy
Northern Pacific
Great Northern
Seattle, Portland and Spokane
Frisco
Plus bits and pieces of other roads here and there

Mr. Buffett’s Raiload isn’t exactly not a Borg, either.
Nah, no comparison. BN was a matter of combining companies with shared/common ownership, followed by absorbing Frisco; BNSF was a consensual merger of equals resulting in an identity that reflects both railroads.

UP grew by acquiring weaker competitors and eradicating their identies.

Track 55 was a great place to camp out and watch trains before 9/11... If there was ever a place where a flyover was justified, that has to be it, but I don't think there's room with the I-35/I-30 interchange...
  by Backshophoss

Local hotspot for the homeless near by,which makes the area suspect,a local building materials yard is the home of the VRF camera
UP + KCS = the UP Borg strikes again!
  by eolesen

We used to volunteer at a homeless shelter within view of the Tower... Most of them are fairly harmless compared to the drug gangs elsewhere in the Metromess.
  by Backshophoss

That has easy access from supplies from the Laredo border crossings :grimacing: