Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May New Jersey Seashore Lines Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1529062  by liftedjeep

WashingtonPark wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:26 pm
glennk419 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:17 pm The bridge is fine. The problem is that they can't get any trains down there due to severe vandalism and damage to tracks and ties in Dennisville. There was additional vandalism in Middle Township but that wasn't quite as severe.
Tony needs to contact the Stewartstown Railroad and ask them to explain to him how they were able to repair damaged track with very limited resources and help and not take 20 years to do it.
Nail on the head!!

The issue is that CMSL utilizes a line (Richland to Tuckahoe) that is maintained by entirely by Conrail. They have no reason to repair and maintain the line to Cape May when they operate on trackage where that is already taken care of.

As a matter of fact, it seems more and more that they are referring to themselves as just "Seashore Lines". I dont know if that's just a coincidence, my imagination, or a nod to where they are no longer operating to...

Ben
 #1529258  by MedicSutton

With Beeslys Point no longer getting coal delivered I’m curious as to if abandonment is on the table. Does anyone know as to if any industry receives delivery south of winslow?
 #1529280  by WashingtonPark

MedicSutton wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:45 am With Beeslys Point no longer getting coal delivered I’m curious as to if abandonment is on the table. Does anyone know as to if any industry receives delivery south of winslow?
I've been told Tony does a heck of a business storing rail cars in the Tuckahoe area. I can't imagine him allowing the Richland section to die with all that money involved. Atlantic Sweetner Co. just south of Winslow Jct. might still take a boxcar now and then but I don't really know of anyone else.
 #1529774  by R&DB

I just looked at Atlantic Sweetner on Google Maps and it is Marked as such. But Street view shows the store front as a model train shop and there was a Southern boxcar on the siding. (August 2016) So it doesn't look like there is anything else than CMSL Passenger and railcar storage.
 #1529793  by WashingtonPark

R&DB wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:05 pm I just looked at Atlantic Sweetner on Google Maps and it is Marked as such. But Street view shows the store front as a model train shop and there was a Southern boxcar on the siding. (August 2016) So it doesn't look like there is anything else than CMSL Passenger and railcar storage.
That's odd. According to their website they're still in business. Maybe they just rent out the front section of the building? Did go by there in September and there was nothing on the siding.
 #1529795  by liftedjeep

WashingtonPark wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:47 pm
R&DB wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:05 pm I just looked at Atlantic Sweetner on Google Maps and it is Marked as such. But Street view shows the store front as a model train shop and there was a Southern boxcar on the siding. (August 2016) So it doesn't look like there is anything else than CMSL Passenger and railcar storage.
That's odd. According to their website they're still in business. Maybe they just rent out the front section of the building? Did go by there in September and there was nothing on the siding.
Atlantic Sweetner is still in business. The hobby shop, Atlantic Rails shares a portion of the same structure. I can't say for sure whether or not Atlantic Sweetner still receives rail service, as it has been a few years since I've seen a boxcar spotted on the siding there at Mays Landing Rd. To be clear though, Conrail (WPCA-51) would service Atlantic Sweetner, not CMSL.

Ben
 #1529858  by Dcell

Who owns the line, Tony or Conrail? The owner would be responsible for repairing damaged rails and ties I would think. If Tony is the owner, he probably doesn’t generate a lot of money running seasonal passenger specials and with zero freight service. It’s a small miracle that he keeps the passenger specials running Year after year for the enjoyment of families.
 #1529859  by liftedjeep

Dcell wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:45 pm Who owns the line, Tony or Conrail? The owner would be responsible for repairing damaged rails and ties I would think. If Tony is the owner, he probably doesn’t generate a lot of money running seasonal passenger specials and with zero freight service. It’s a small miracle that he keeps the passenger specials running Year after year for the enjoyment of families.
Conrail owns the Beesley's Point Secondary. From Tuckahoe south to Cape May is owned by NJ Transit. That portion of the line is leased by Cape May Seashore Lines.

I can't speculate on why the damaged portion of the Cape May Branch has not been repaired yet, and whether or not that responsibility falls on NJ Transit or CMSL.

Ben
 #1554821  by FANWOODGUY

Just drove up from Norfolk on the Delmarva alongside the soon to be abandoned track on rt 13. I wonder if the track plates and other materials required to restore the CMSL Cape May lines could be obtained at a fraction of the cost of buying new. The line from Cape Charles will likely never be restored whereas Cape May could be returned to its former level of activity. The vandalized line in Cape May is a whole lot shorter than the abandoned trackage in VA so the materials are there.
 #1554945  by WashingtonPark

glennk419 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:06 am The bridge was serviceable when the line went out of service. Not sure if it's been operated occasionally or not but as long as nothing has run into it, routine maintenance should be all that's required.
It hasn't been operated or maintained for over a decade. That in itself is a big problem. I believe I read somewhere the army corps of engineers have mechanically secured it into the closed position but not positive on that. I was told by one of the locals that it was hit again and damaged and a one million dollar price tag was on it to get it operational, but I must point out one of the people in the transportation center told me that so you can take it as hearsay unless somebody can find out more.