Railroad Forums 

• New Adirondack Scenic Thread (ADIX)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1543132  by Jeff Smith

https://poststar.com/news/local/agency- ... 82191.html
he Adirondack Park Agency approved Thursday a compromise plan for the railroad line that connects Remsen and Lake Placid that will create a recreation trail in the heart of the Adirondacks while preserving part of the rail line for scenic train service.

The plan, pushed by the state, will tear up the rail lines for a multi-use 34-mile trail, including snowmobilers in winter and cyclists in summer, from Tupper Lake to Lake Placid.

It will also refurbish about 45 miles of track that runs south from Tupper Lake, allowing scenic trains to run up from Remsen.

Tupper Lake would thus be the project’s hub, the terminus for both rail-trail users and scenic train-tour riders.
 #1545931  by traingeek8223

And just like that, the Adirondack Scenic Railroad no longer exists. I guess the word "scenic" was scaring off to many potential riders.

https://lite987.com/adirondack-railroad ... f42s-ev1oA
The other big news is a change to the name and logo of the railroad. The railroad is dropping ‘scenic’ from its name and will now be known as The Adirondack Railroad. The new logo, designed by Ryan McGrogan of McGrogan Design, will be added to train cars and engines this summer.

“It’s for simplicity’s sake,” says Bill Branson, President of the railroad. “We’ve made a brand adjustment to make it more attractive to a broader audience and we are excited to unveil our new logo and name.”
 #1546005  by Pensyfan19

I'm sorry but how does the word "scenic" scare off potential customers in the region???
Also, could it be possible to have rails and trails along the route, providing as a win win for both groups who want to take the train and want to take the bike? Not to mention, this already existing concept can be applied to numerous abandoned right of ways as it keeps a nature trail and it keeps the economy alive by providing passenger and freight rail transport to also pass through.
 #1546030  by NHV 669

Pensyfan19 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:45 pmcould it be possible to have rails and trails along the route
That has been discussed to death in this and other ADIX threads. The short answer is no, as the top portion (34 miles?) will have the rails pulled, not that many locals seem to care up that way. They're on the belief that hikers/bikers/sledders will make them more $$$ on an annual basis. At least the state agreed to kick in funds for repairs/maintenance on other parts of the line.
 #1546046  by marco

Have noticed a "Premium Class" on Adirondack Railroad, that is "Coming Soon". Does anyone know anything about this?
 #1546051  by jurtz

marco wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:04 am Have noticed a "Premium Class" on Adirondack Railroad, that is "Coming Soon". Does anyone know anything about this?
This likely refers to the dome car they recently acquired.
 #1546073  by lvrr325

I went up to the north end once to pick some things up for a guy.

While it's pretty up there I've no desire to drive back. A train ride, I might do.
 #1546090  by jurtz

jurtz wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:59 am
marco wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:04 am Have noticed a "Premium Class" on Adirondack Railroad, that is "Coming Soon". Does anyone know anything about this?
This likely refers to the dome car they recently acquired.
Here is a link to the RR equipment page. There are couple of photos of the dome car and also the diner they got from Amtrak. The dome car was completely refurbished before it was delivered and so can go into service immediately. Not sure about the status of the diner, or exactly how they intend to use it in service.

https://www.adirondackrr.com/equipment/
 #1554361  by SST

traingeek8223 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:27 am And just like that, the Adirondack Scenic Railroad no longer exists. I guess the word "scenic" was scaring off to many potential riders.

https://lite987.com/adirondack-railroad ... f42s-ev1oA
The other big news is a change to the name and logo of the railroad. The railroad is dropping ‘scenic’ from its name and will now be known as The Adirondack Railroad. The new logo, designed by Ryan McGrogan of McGrogan Design, will be added to train cars and engines this summer.

“It’s for simplicity’s sake,” says Bill Branson, President of the railroad. “We’ve made a brand adjustment to make it more attractive to a broader audience and we are excited to unveil our new logo and name.”
My guess for the name change is due to how the railroad is looked at. A scenic railroad "appears" less important than a Railroad. Consider CSX Scenic RR......NS Scenic RR etc. A Railroad moves aggregate, automotive's...etc etc where a scenic RR is for afternoon fun. My bet for the name change is to hopefully shield itself from another attack from the community.

As for sharing the ROW....I recently rode the Clarion-Toby Rail to Trail in Pa between Brockway and Ridgeway. Between 5.5 and roughly 8.8 [Rt949 overpass]. The path is right up against the rails. A great example of shared use. But, there are gates along the entire path that prohibit motorized use. The condition of the path is excellent and it shows that it is adhered to. Whether this could have been applied to the Adirondack, I'm not certain.
 #1554377  by tree68

SST wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:27 am But, there are gates along the entire path that prohibit motorized use. The condition of the path is excellent and it shows that it is adhered to. Whether this could have been applied to the Adirondack, I'm not certain.
This would fly in the face of one of the primary groups pushing for the removal of the railroad - the snowmobilers.

On the other hand, there are those who want the sledders out of their woods, too. In the end, the only people who will be satisfied with the eventual result (returning the corridor to nature) will be the forever wild folks.
 #1554387  by ut-1

On October 8th, the Adirondack Railroad ran a non-revenue train to Big Moose to take publicity shots for next year's marketing effort and to test out their newly acquired ex-UP dome car (built in 1955) and ex-NY Central diner (built in 1948).

This was the first time either car operated in an Adirondack train.

Here's a video of the train rolling through Otter Lake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6UPpsnwqIE
Attachments:
Otter (3).JPG
Otter (3).JPG (180.54 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
 #1554464  by jurtz

tahawus84 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:59 pm I apologize if I missed it but what is going on with the north end? Did they remove the rails? Any equipment still up there?
As far as I know, the rails between Tupperware Lake and Lake Placid are still there, but it looks like their days are numbered. All equipment was taken out of Lake Placid in November 2016.