Railroad Forums 

• New Dinky to Nassau Street

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1551760  by R&DB

How about get rid of the rails and install people movers like at the larger airports? One for each direction. No need for Engineers, conductors, etc. Just a few NJT police and turnstile at entrance at each end. Roof above with solar cells for power.
 #1551762  by njtmnrrbuff

I didn't even think of the people mover idea-how clever. Hopefully they would be able to fit the people mover right of way from the existing Princeton Station into Downtown Princeton.
 #1553624  by JamesRR

They could pair an ALP46 with one cab and run push-pull. I recall a pair of MLs and an ALP ran on the line some years ago (for what reason I can't recall).
 #1553625  by Pensyfan19

JamesRR wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:44 pm They could pair an ALP46 with one cab and run push-pull. I recall a pair of MLs and an ALP ran on the line some years ago (for what reason I can't recall).
That seems like a bit much for a small branch line such as Princeton. Not to mention, Multilevels and ALP-46s are needed for frequent service on literally every other electric branch which NJT runs. Why not an ALP-46 (or even an ALP-44) with a comet cab car or two, since those coaches are being replaced by multilevels.
 #1553708  by R36 Combine Coach

Pensyfan19 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:51 pm Why not an ALP-46 (or even an ALP-44) with a comet cab car or two...
Really only one operable ALP44, if you can lease 2308 (but parts supply for one unit should be good, given four
mothballed at MMC and the rest in Stanhope).
 #1553724  by rcthompson04

This would seem to be an ideal circumstance for NJT and SEPTA to work with each other and have NJT lease a few MUs from SEPTA. SEPTA would provide maintenance as part of its fleet.
 #1553739  by R3 Passenger

rcthompson04 wrote:This would seem to be an ideal circumstance for NJT and SEPTA to work with each other and have NJT lease a few MUs from SEPTA. SEPTA would provide maintenance as part of its fleet.
Pre-COVID, SEPTA had no cars to spare. Hell, they were leasing some coaches from MARC up until the virus hit. NJT will receive new equipment before SEPTA displaces any surplus or operable MUs.
 #1553863  by CNJGeep

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:00 pm
Pensyfan19 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:51 pm Why not an ALP-46 (or even an ALP-44) with a comet cab car or two...
Really only one operable ALP44, if you can lease 2308 (but parts supply for one unit should be good, given four
mothballed at MMC and the rest in Stanhope).
2308 is not operable.
 #1554096  by MACTRAXX

JamesRR wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:44 pm They could pair an ALP46 with one cab and run push-pull. I recall a pair of MLs and an ALP ran on the line some years ago (for what reason I can't recall).
JRR and Everyone:
I wanted to reply to this subject and will mention: That observation was likely a test to see if the use of a
ALP46 along with two multilevels would work out on Dinky runs. For this 2.7 mile line MU cars make
much more sense than a locomotive-hauled consist. ALP46 motors use more power than a long MU train
would and would take time to accelerate from a full stop slower than MU cars would.

This reminds me of when SEPTA first placed their AEM7s and push-pull cars into service back in 1987.
The equipment was tested on a weekly basis on most lines - on lines with stations close together (the
two Chestnut Hill lines were the best examples that I rode) it was noted that the motors were slow on
starting up from a station only to have to again stop at the next station. I later learned that one AEM7
uses as much power on average as 8 MU cars and that they draw their highest amperage starting up
from a station. Having a substation at PJC helps in the way of power supply for motors as needed.

The Dinky is a good "niche" for MU cars leaving the ALP46 motors and multilevels for the longer runs.
MACTRAXX
 #1554145  by MattW

How possible would it be to use otherwise standard components in a non-standard configuration? The problem seems to be the smallest MLVEMU setup would be two cabs, and one power car which is overkill. Could Bombardier put the MLV power components in a single-level form factor? Sure, it'd be a non-standard car, but if enough of the components are standard, would the remaining non-standard stuff be too much of a problem?
 #1554328  by lensovet

MattW wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:44 pm How possible would it be to use otherwise standard components in a non-standard configuration? The problem seems to be the smallest MLVEMU setup would be two cabs, and one power car which is overkill. Could Bombardier put the MLV power components in a single-level form factor? Sure, it'd be a non-standard car, but if enough of the components are standard, would the remaining non-standard stuff be too much of a problem?
the main issue is where to cram them. if it was doable, they wouldn't have this 3-car approach in the first place.
 #1554457  by Backshophoss

BBD still trying to create the biggest mistake of a EMU design? Hell the screwed up subway cars! Time to design the next gen Arrow IV