Railroad Forums 

• Famous YouTube Hobo rides Pan Am to Maine, camps at Rigby Yard and films whole thing.

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1552568  by Adam81980

["Kids, don't try this at home." –the moderator]

YouTube Train hopping star Hoboshoestring rides Pan Am all the way to Maine from Selkirk, camps in Rigby yard and walks around the yard in broad daylight. Then posts video of the whole adventure.

Regardless of your view on railroad trespassing, these were quite the interesting videos. They were just shot less than.a week ago.

https://youtu.be/yQJ5ZHv1N9w

https://youtu.be/2J3_cvCwQhE

https://youtu.be/KTipdP4ROvs

https://youtu.be/fbz44mVi6bs
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1552760  by MEC407

"It took 7 1/2 weeks to get from Lowell to Ayer, and then 4.3 years to get from Ayer to here... I could've rode a kid's tricycle and got here faster..." 😂
 #1553054  by Gilbert B Norman

Chicago Police just arrested the Census Cowboy for taking "peaceful assembly" too far. Why haven't the Pan Am or other Police agencies done same with this "character"?

That he has free range of You Tube, he is simply encouraging others to attempt same. Obviously he has good "situational awareness" in that he's stayed alive through his escapades, but what happens when some teen aged kid with a less than fully developed brain attempts same with a "not so pleasant" outcome?
 #1553055  by MEC407

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:02 am Why haven't the Pan Am or other Police agencies done same with this "character"?
Pan Am barely has any police left. They made massive cuts to their police department several years ago.
 #1553056  by bostontrainguy

There are tons of YouTube videos about people jumping trains. I recently saw one where the rider got off of the train somewhere out west to stretch his legs and like 10 other "passengers" got off all along the train to do the same! It appears that the new underframe side airflows on trailers offer a perfect secure hiding place to campout.

BTW - I was wondering how he charged up his phone. There's a solution for everything nowadays.
 #1553130  by highrail

It is an interesting culture that seems to glorify what this guy is doing; and that youtube would leave his videos up on the web. He seems like a nice enough guy, but in reality he is trespassing, tagging equipment and endangering his life and others. By his own admission, he has some personal issues and he lost part of his hand under a wheel when jumping off a car. And people think this is cool?
 #1553139  by MEC407

The hobo/tramp lifestyle has been interesting to the masses for over a century. It has been a part of American pop culture via literature, music, film and art as far back as the 1890s, maybe even farther back than that.
 #1553145  by bostontrainguy

Best hobo musical tidbit from Whitesnake: "And here I go again on my own, Going down the only road I’ve ever known, Like a hobo/drifter I was born to walk alone."

Coverdale displaced this confusion in an interview, stating “he changed the lyric” from “hobo” to “drifter,” because “he was afraid people would think he was saying homo instead of hobo.”

Good song and I think "drifter" actually works better.

http://www.weareclassicrockers.com/arti ... over-years
 #1553188  by Adam81980

bostontrainguy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:58 am BTW - I was wondering how he charged up his phone. There's a solution for everything nowadays.

He charges it using public outlets in stores, outside buildings, wherever. He also carries little mini solar charging panels you can charge battery packs with.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: excessive quoting
 #1553189  by Adam81980

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:02 am Chicago Police just arrested the Census Cowboy for taking "peaceful assembly" too far. Why haven't the Pan Am or other Police agencies done same with this "character"?

That he has free range of You Tube, he is simply encouraging others to attempt same. Obviously he has good "situational awareness" in that he's stayed alive through his escapades, but what happens when some teen aged kid with a less than fully developed brain attempts same with a "not so pleasant" outcome?
All the police can do is ticket the guy, or arrest him on petty trespassing charges and he MIGHT spent a day or two in jail. You’re not going to go to prison for that, This guys been arrested dozen times during thrity so years or riding. Caught many more times according to him.

One one of his new videos shot while headed west out of Indiana the other day, a rail worker came down the row in his truck, stopped to confront the trespasser, and then called him out by his ‘Hobo Shoestring’ name and then let him go on his way in the yard.