Railroad Forums 

• Vote for the World's Ugliest Train - Just for Fun

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1543326  by scratchyX

Tadman wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:22 am Worth noting - some stuff is much better in person, IE Scotrail 385. It's not amazing, but not offensive like we perceive it to be.

I don't have a big list of "ugly" trains but I don't really like any shops-based mods of the cab/nose, IE chop noses. There are some really rough GP9, RS1/2/3 (IE Detroit & Mackinac), and especially those Mexican early roadswitcher mods with full-width cabs. Woof. There's also an RS1 in NOLA with no nose at all. Just a big platform.
Rs1 with no nose? how does he smell?
 #1543356  by mtuandrew

Tadman wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:22 amI don't have a big list of "ugly" trains but I don't really like any shops-based mods of the cab/nose, IE chop noses. There are some really rough GP9, RS1/2/3 (IE Detroit & Mackinac), and especially those Mexican early roadswitcher mods with full-width cabs. Woof. There's also an RS1 in NOLA with no nose at all. Just a big platform.
There’s a special place for Crandall Cab E-units. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3318517
 #1546103  by MACTRAXX

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:53 am
spRocket wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:50 am
bostontrainguy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:30 pm Oh oh. The new Acela may be in the running now too!Acela.jpg
The "mouth" needs some shark teeth.
Is great idea! Is great idea!!!
Acela-omnomnom.jpg
Om nom nom, om nom.

(It's the morning, I'm just having coffee now and feeling silly. Sue me. :) )
No problem, RW - the stay-at-home was getting to some of us...
After a full month this topic is again in my mind...

On that thought after watching videos and pictures posted of the new
Acela train sets I came up with a nickname for them:

"Gators" as in "Alligator" or " Crocodile " :wink:

Along with this nickname a 1956 song by Bill Haley and his Comets
came to my mind "See You Later, Alligator (After 'While Crocodile)"
https://youtube.com/watch?v=b3MmRz3XohM
This song is appropriate not just for the nickname - it also has the
subtle thought of "going away" or traveling as part. This is now a
64 year old classic tune from the infancy days of Rock-and-Roll...

Does anyone agree with coining the name "Gators" for the new Acela
train sets as an easy to remember nickname? :-D
So Long, That's All; Goodbye...MACTRAXX
 #1546132  by Gilbert B Norman

Crocodiles:; indigenous to:

Austria

Switzerland

While I have not seen any on the road, you can see the first named if you keep your eyes open around any of a number of engine houses; the second saw many in active service when "I first went over" during '60.
 #1552392  by STrRedWolf

Some more additions to my earlier reply. We can all say, not only does anything with a chopped nose look uglier than a pug, but they smell bad too. (Yes I went there)
  • Acela Avelia: Needs shark teeth. Come on, make it fun! (although gator teeth... hmmmm)
  • Thomas the Tank Engine: disqualified
  • Crandall Cab E-Units: Ugly in a passenger context. Someone tried spoofing a GP40 and it looks like it got whacked in the head by a iron-girder bridge. If it were hauling freight it'll be meh.
  • Austria/Switzerland "crocodiles": Look like road switchers. Meh.
  • AS-16EMD: Freight. Meh.
The "10 Worst UK Rail cars" highlighted one... thing.

The Pacer.

I now add a fifth category, worse than OMG PUT IT OUT OF IT'S MISERY. It's Oh gawd please don't tell me they're still running that crap send it to the recycler where it belongs.
 #1552406  by mtuandrew

STrRedWolf wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:48 amI now add a fifth category, worse than OMG PUT IT OUT OF IT'S MISERY. It's Oh gawd please don't tell me they're still running that crap send it to the recycler where it belongs.
I mean, just say “Dash 8-39C”, why don’t you? :wink: (you could also add the RailPower gensets to that list - they aren’t THAT ugly but they definitely aren’t good at their job.)
 #1552414  by STrRedWolf

mtuandrew wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:11 pm
STrRedWolf wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:48 amI now add a fifth category, worse than OMG PUT IT OUT OF IT'S MISERY. It's Oh gawd please don't tell me they're still running that crap send it to the recycler where it belongs.
I mean, just say “Dash 8-39C”, why don’t you? :wink: (you could also add the RailPower gensets to that list - they aren’t THAT ugly but they definitely aren’t good at their job.)
I have no problems with the Dash 8-39C, even if it shares looks on some GP40's and it's equally bad at anything you throw at it... well, except that it shares the name with the Dash 8-300 airplane that I had the unfortunate time to ride on my way back from Pittsburgh before I tried Southwest Air (and before Amtrak). Thankfully, that story is out of scope of this forum. ;)

Oh, I pinged Amtrak's Twitter account on the shark teeth idea...