Railroad Forums 

• Post EHH Changes for CSX

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1548553  by gokeefe

Penn Central had a similar habit. Hopefully the same practices at CSX are not taken to similar excesses as they were at PC.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1550406  by QB 52.32

During the very difficult 2Q2020, CSX opened up its operating ratio lead 63.3 vs. 70.7 over NS. Adjusted for pencil sharpness, CSX operating ratio 63.3, 60.7 first 6 months 2020 vs. 66.8 for NS. Though railroading is a long game, clearly CSX has outperformed NS in PSR transitioning and with legitimate concerns of, at the least, what appear to be challenges at NS.
 #1550447  by gokeefe

I'm a little surprised to see a 70.7% operating ratio at NS. That seems high.

#1550477  by mmi16

QB 52.32 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:59 pm During the very difficult 2Q2020, CSX opened up its operating ratio lead 63.3 vs. 70.7 over NS. Adjusted for pencil sharpness, CSX operating ratio 63.3, 60.7 first 6 months 2020 vs. 66.8 for NS. Though railroading is a long game, clearly CSX has outperformed NS in PSR transitioning and with legitimate concerns of, at the least, what appear to be challenges at NS.
The only numbers CSX ever published that I believed were those that were printed on my paychecks - and only to the extent that the checks didn't bounce - the didn't, unlike those of some Penn Central employees I was acquainted with.
 #1550488  by gokeefe

Wow, I had never heard that PC had gotten to the point there they bounced payroll.

#1550551  by mmi16

gokeefe wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:40 pm Wow, I had never heard that PC had gotten to the point there they bounced payroll.

They did! PC got someone to put up some money and ultimately make the checks good, however, when they were first presented they did, in fact, bounce.
 #1552137  by ExCon90

mmi16 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:30 pm
The only numbers CSX ever published that I believed were those that were printed on my paychecks - and only to the extent that the checks didn't bounce - the didn't, unlike those of some Penn Central employees I was acquainted with.
[/quote]
(Just spotted this.). Depends on what bounced means. In New York, when PC entered bankruptcy Citibank wouldn't cash PC paychecks but Marine Midland did; it took a couple of pay periods before some banks realized that the sky hadn't fallen and funds actually were available. It was a near thing month after month, however.
 #1552926  by mmi16

ExCon90 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:22 pm
mmi16 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:30 pm The only numbers CSX ever published that I believed were those that were printed on my paychecks - and only to the extent that the checks didn't bounce - the didn't, unlike those of some Penn Central employees I was acquainted with.
(Just spotted this.). Depends on what bounced means. In New York, when PC entered bankruptcy Citibank wouldn't cash PC paychecks but Marine Midland did; it took a couple of pay periods before some banks realized that the sky hadn't fallen and funds actually were available. It was a near thing month after month, however.
I was working in NE Ohio at the time - and heard from a number of PC employees that upon presentation a number of financial institutions would not CASH their checks. Remember this was a time when the country was a cash economy - about the only credit cards that existed were for gasoline outlets and not many people used them. You go to your local bank branch and don't come home with money was devastating. Eventually the checks were made good, but the damage had already been done.
 #1555895  by QB 52.32

3Q2020 CSX maintained its consequential OR lead over NS, mirroring their year ago historic performance, at 56.9 with NS falling short of meaningfully closing the gap despite some progress, with a 62.5 (adjusted from 66.5) OR. Two keys to EHH's implementation of PSR, organizational culture and "shock and awe" change, for better or worse, are contrasted with NS' own approach up to this point with their new COO, Cindy Sanborn, publicly acknowledging a need for urgency in speeding up PSR implementation with an approach significantly more than tweaking the plan and progress already put into practice.

Noteworthy is CSX's continued commitment to maintaining capital expenditures, the dramatic loss of coal traffic at both CSX and NS, and 7% and 1 % year-over-year intermodal growth at CSX and NS, respectively, during the quarter.
 #1562247  by QB 52.32

4Q20 CSX slightly opened up it's lead over NS with a 57 OR vs. 60 4Q19, and, for full-year 2020 NS slightly closed the OR gap though still 560 BPS above CSX's 58.8 OR. During the wild ride of 2020, full year CSX's traffic revenues were down 11% from 2019, somewhat buoyed by 6% growth in full year intermodal revenue, while NS' were down 13% with losses in all 3 traffic segments of merchandise, intermodal and coal. 2020 was all about PSR productivity and cost control flexibility closing with CSX making a "post-PSR" play for PAR and NS focused upon the struggle to catch up.
 #1596180  by QB 52.32

Worthwhile to bring back to the light of day this thread for a few recent important post-EHH CSX changes. CSX now ties management incentive compensation to growth; publicly is recognizing and acting on what they see as a need to improve unionized labor relations and management in the short and long term; and, CEO Foote spoke incidentally during their 1Q22 earnings call about trailer and container asset ownership and retail vs. wholesale market channels in their intermodal line of business, expressing dissatisfaction with "doing 95% of the work for 75% of the money", having introduced retailed CSX-owned refrigerator trailer I-95 corridor service, and owning domestic containers outside a shared pool.
 #1596495  by mmi16

QB 52.32 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:02 pm Worthwhile to bring back to the light of day this thread for a few recent important post-EHH CSX changes. CSX now ties management incentive compensation to growth; publicly is recognizing and acting on what they see as a need to improve unionized labor relations and management in the short and long term; and, CEO Foote spoke incidentally during their 1Q22 earnings call about trailer and container asset ownership and retail vs. wholesale market channels in their intermodal line of business, expressing dissatisfaction with "doing 95% of the work for 75% of the money", having introduced retailed CSX-owned refrigerator trailer I-95 corridor service, and owning domestic containers outside a shared pool.
The way the Class 1's negotiations (NOT) are progressing with the Crafts - Neither Foote or any other Class 1 CEO can make any statement about 'improving unionized labor relations' without members of those unions falling down laughing in fits of hysterics.