Railroad Forums 

• Trackage rights and the original route

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#1551595  by WhartonAndNorthern

I've had a little bit of interest in the L&HR since I passed an old bridge over County Route 519 a few years ago.
One surprise that I've found is that the railroad didn't own a good chunk of it's main line right of way. Far too many of the so-called "system maps" of that era seem to illustrate passenger connections without regard to ownership.
https://www.american-rails.com/images/1 ... nko191.jpg

So let me see if I got this right:
  • The railroad began at it's bridge over the Delaware (still used today by the NS Portland Secondary). Any access for interchange was via trackage rights to neighboring RR's yards (CNJ & LV?).
  • The railroad then used trackage rights on the PRR's Bel-Del line up to Belvidere where its own main line began. Two wikipedia articles claim (without attribution) that the PRR trackage rights were lost in 1908. No mention how they were regained or when (if they were ever truly lost), however, I see no way for the road to have survived without them. I mean I could see the potential for access via CNJ or DL&W or both but those would have taken the RR far off of it's main line.
Did the PRR ever acquire ownership or rights over the rest of the L&HR? This 1918 wikipedia map supposedly based on government statistics, shows the PRR running over what looks like the L&HR to Maybrook. I'm not sure if it's an error, a misinterpretation of trackage rights*, or perhaps USRA-mandated wartime control.
*=the PRR Federal Express did run for a time over the Maybrook connection.
 #1551719  by Marty Feldner

There is a plethora of flaky information out there on the web; you seem to have uncovered a bunch of it. Rather than waste electrons typing, try this link from my website; this was the official history as written by the railroad in 1960 for its centennial celebration. It should clear things up, at least a bit. (As for that PRR map, I don't know about the rest of the system, but whoever drew it got the L&HR part wrong.)

http://lhr.railfan.net/history.htm
 #1551956  by WhartonAndNorthern

Marty Feldner wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:47 am There is a plethora of flaky information out there on the web; you seem to have uncovered a bunch of it. Rather than waste electrons typing, try this link from my website; this was the official history as written by the railroad in 1960 for its centennial celebration. It should clear things up, at least a bit. (As for that PRR map, I don't know about the rest of the system, but whoever drew it got the L&HR part wrong.)

http://lhr.railfan.net/history.htm
Thanks. I think what happened (looking at the article history) was someone plagiarized info from a book into wikipedia, it was probably decent info, but resulted in a copyright complaint. The editor who tried to at least set things straight legally simply reverted to an earlier version of the text which contained questionable info.

Edit: and that was a great read!