Railroad Forums 

• Bay Colony Millis Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1549808  by Baycolony1705

GP40MC1118 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:45 pm As far as I know -yes. Was started up about three-four weeks ago. Rumored work on trestle soon, but
such as it with rumors!
That’s great to hear it was started up, and even better to hear that they will be working on the trestle!
 #1549929  by MaineCoonCat

Baycolony1705 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:55 am
That’s great to hear it was started up, and even better to hear that they will be working on the trestle!

Wait a minute.. As I asked previously, on WHO'S DIME? Who is going to pay for it?
 #1551770  by craven

Containers containing building supplies are staged off the side of the entrance road to Medfield Waste treatment plan.

Don't know if these are for rebuilding the RR Trestle or MASSDOT doing road bridge maintenance.

Butt, somethings going on.
 #1551822  by MaineCoonCat

Do we have any way of confirming this? My searches of the MassDOT, Millis town and Medfield town websites return nothing. I'd think the Millis Conservation Commission would have at least met about it.'
 #1551843  by GP40MC1118

Don't know why the Conservation Commission would have anything to say about bridge repairs. I don't remember BCLR ever dealing with the town of Dartmouth when they
worked on the Shingle River and Paskamansett River bridges years ago. Or Westport for the Bread & Cheese Brook bridge. All I can say is that its from an industry source and leave it at that. There's already been one false start, so I am prepared to go down in flames if it gets put on the shelf again.
 #1551875  by MaineCoonCat

Don't know why the Conservation Commission would have anything to say about bridge repairs.
Though it would likely be exempt (310 CMR 10.58(6)), being a railroad, whereas it's work within a wetland/riverfront, I think the local Con Com would likely be involved along with DEP, at least in a Determination of Applicability. If this is owned by Harkey, then I believe this exemption would not apply.
https://www.mass.gov/doc/310-cmr-1000-the-wetlands-protection-act/download
 #1552447  by johnpbarlow

I drove down Dover Rd - West St past the Bay Colony trestle over the Charles River and based on seeing still covered road construction signs for westbound traffic on West St, I'm guessing those containers are for some sort of road project. The Bay Colony RR RoW is in awful condition if that Geep is to ever operate to Medfield Jct again, the crew better bring a chain saw. I was saddened by how bad the line looked in Millis.

OTOH, Railworks has a bunch of vehicles parked off W Mill St near Medfield Jct with track MoW equipment also parked north of the junction on a siding along the Framingham Secondary - is some sort of track rehab project about to kick-off on the Secondary?
 #1552644  by GP40MC1118

Railworks probably has nothing to do with the Millis Line work. Strictly BCLR from what I understand. Like you suggested, looks like another round of Mass DOT funded work on the Framingham Secondary coming up.
 #1552664  by Cosmo

Work on the Framingham Secondary has been ongoing for the better part of the summer.
There's a major staging area in Medfield close to the junction and they had dropped ribbon rail out in Sherborn a few weeks ago.
I will try to get over that way this weekend to see what progress was made since then.
 #1552744  by MaineCoonCat

Hate to say it but I'm wondering if 1701 will be scrapped where she sits..
 #1553348  by MaineCoonCat

Pulling it out of there? Or is something positive actually happening?
 #1553377  by MaineCoonCat

I guess my question is; "Why are they cutting the brush?". Has a new rail customer been found? Are they just going to cut it enough to get in and lift the rail for scrap? Is it some contractual exercise? Does someone just want to burn money?