Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1548304  by BuddR32

DogBert wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:50 pm Have they retired more M3s lately? Sent any to scrap?

The pair at Blissville are still down there, acquiring new coats of paint all the time.
No more have been officially decommissioned. The four pair in my last post are still where they were then. What is happening now is mostly all the M3s are sitting idle with 25 or so in a daily inspection cycle so theyre ready to be used if needed. Others are sitting O/S. As non-ptc cars are coming due for maintenance theyre being parked.
The three year air brake date is the death call for the non PTC cars.

In recent months M3s have been used in service 2 days.
 #1548316  by mkm4

BuddR32 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:54 am
Backshophoss wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:14 pm When will MN start pulling LIRR M-3's to Harmon for refit,then service the Harlem/Hudson Lines???
This is new...
It came up sometime last year but I think they decided against it.
 #1549261  by newkirk

What's going on with the M-3's ?

I live by the tracks in Farmingdale and M-3's are flying by at speed and not stopping at the station.
I haven't noticed any in service, Just M-7's and more M-9's.
 #1549266  by gregorygrice

newkirk wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:26 am What's going on with the M-3's ?

I live by the tracks in Farmingdale and M-3's are flying by at speed and not stopping at the station.
I haven't noticed any in service, Just M-7's and more M-9's.
PTC test train or spare equipment set swap.
 #1549297  by gamer4616

There is a PTC test train that leaves Ronkonkoma around 820-830 in the evening using the M3 equipment (MON-THU).

M3's in passenger service is unlikely right now. Nearly all M3's on the property are in Hillside Yard collecting dust.
 #1549298  by photobug56

If I were them I wouldn't scrap them too quickly, especially if they're not too hard to adapt to PTC. Is anyone actually seeing more than a tiny quantity of M9's in actual service? Unfortunately no backup for the C3's - never enough of them to begin with and from what I've seen and heard over time, not in great shape.
 #1549303  by Head-end View

I agree photobug56. We're living in very uncertain times and the smart thing would be for the LIRR to keep some spare equipment around for a while. Especially as (for various reasons) the M-9's have been slow to arrive and get put into service. If ridership starts to improve again before the rest of the M-9 fleet gets into service, the M-3's might still be needed.
 #1549306  by gregorygrice

The M9s are entering service at a steady rate now. There are several sets running. The M3s that have PTC and the newly painted fronts are the ones they are keeping which is why they are using them for testing.
 #1549382  by gamer4616

Head-end View wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:36 pm Okay, how many M-9 cars are actually in revenue service as of this week? Anyone?
Todays MU Fleet Availability

Model Owned Avail
M3 142 32
M7 836 776
M9 62 50
Totals 1040 858
 #1552971  by BuddR32

48 M3 cars have seen their last passenger. They are being decommissioned and set out. No word on scrapping them is official. These are nearly allthe non-ACSES equipped cars.

Only one non-ACSES pair is remaining on the roster for the time being. 9887-8, how much longer who knows.
The other 80 cars remaining are all equipped.