Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1547265  by Ryanontherails

swist wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:36 pm This is all fun talk, and educational, But when is the DE going to add more service? It's past July 4.
I think that will come once Governor Mills lifts the restriction on tourists from Massachusetts. Right now we have to quarantine for 14 days or get a negative test within 72 hours before arriving in Maine. While there seems to be nothing stopping day-trippers, it's making it hard for anyone who wants to visit for the weekend. I've noticed that the Downeaster hasn't been stopping in Old Orchard Beach lately. I wonder if that will change when the restrictions are lifted as well.
 #1547895  by markhb

Back to 4 R/T per day starting Monday!
Other Phase 2 service elements include the availability of onboard food service and the re-opening of some Downeaster station facilities.

During this reopening period, some Downeaster services, facilities and amenities may not be available. We appreciate the patience and understanding of the travelling public as we work to provide and sustain a safe and healthy environment for our passengers and crews.
 #1547914  by sicariis

Surprised by their decision to add 688/689 and leave off 686/687. I dont think 688 gets much ridership under normal times and I can't imagine how much ridership there will be for 689 when there are no concerts or sports right now, only purpose I see is for folks connecting from other trains or logan. 686 gets a lot of student ridership during the school year (which perhaps it will return in time for that) and 687 is the later commuter train.
 #1548126  by charlesriverbranch

I'm on #685 just coming into Portland. We passed another DE trainset just north of the yard in South Portland. I didn't think there was any other Amtrak traffic this evening. The arrival board in Boston's North Station didn't have anything listed. I wonder what's up.
 #1548146  by PT1101

The equipment you saw was probably the "crosstown" move. When cars, locos, or cab cars need periodic inspections and maintenance beyond what can be performed in Brunswick, they are sent to Southampton Street Yard in Boston. The term "crosstown" refers to the fact that that they need to go from one side of Boston (North Station) to the other (Southampton Street Yard). Given that the service is getting ready to run 4 daily round trips, they will probably come back with enough equipment to create 3 5 car sets. Current practice is that the day after a crosstown move, a switching crew will run between Portland and Brunswick as required and then spend a few hours working around the BLF.
 #1548254  by markhb

Press Herald story on the service expansion. It says there will be onboard food service but the cafe will be closed; I'm not sure if that means a food cart, or just that the tables won't be available for seating.
 #1548259  by Rockingham Racer

markhb wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:10 pm Press Herald story on the service expansion. It says there will be onboard food service but the cafe will be closed; I'm not sure if that means a food cart, or just that the tables won't be available for seating.

If they're following the Amtrak model, it means no sitting in the café car. Purchases only, then eat/drink at your seat.
 #1548264  by Hux

Rockingham Racer wrote:[quote=markhb post_id=<a href="tel:1548254" data-original-title="" title="">1548254</a> time=<a href="tel:1595265043" data-original-title="" title="">1595265043</a> user_id=27413]
Press Herald story on the service expansion. It says there will be onboard food service but the cafe will be closed; I'm not sure if that means a food cart, or just that the tables won't be available for seating.

If they're following the Amtrak model, it means no sitting in the café car. Purchases only, then eat/drink at your seat.[/quote]

Outdoor dining on a specially equipped gondola. ;)
 #1548272  by MEC407

The photos I've seen on Amtrak social media depict clear Plexiglass "sneeze guard" barriers at the counter in the café car (where you place your order and pick it up), and the dining tables are cordoned off so no one can use them.

In other news, service to Old Orchard Beach resumed today.
 #1548308  by Rockingham Racer

Hux wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:49 pm
Rockingham Racer wrote:[quote=markhb post_id=<a href="tel:1548254" data-original-title="" title="">1548254</a> time=<a href="tel:1595265043" data-original-title="" title="">1595265043</a> user_id=27413]

If they're following the Amtrak model, it means no sitting in the café car. Purchases only, then eat/drink at your seat.
Outdoor dining on a specially equipped gondola. ;)
[/quote]

Hux, I do believe that the insurance folks would have a "minor" problem with that. Although, I do like the idea, LOL.
 #1548332  by gokeefe

Good news to see that the cafe will likely be open. Losing the tables is a very small price to pay for getting onboard foodservice back. We could have lost it all.

We're now back to four roundtrips per day. Hopefully back to five in 2021 if not sooner.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1548642  by BandA

Hux wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:49 pmOutdoor dining on a specially equipped gondola. ;)
Catskill Mountain RR says they are only going to use their open flat cars that are converted with a canopy roof. Their trips are apparently a little shorter & slower than the Downeaster, lol