• Why stainless cars?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

Tadman wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:14 am ......if it works for a 787 it might be viable for a railcar.
Off topic, but somehow flying overseas @FL380 in an aircraft held together by glue, does "not exactly" comfort me. Who knows what the "skittish" flyers we have around here, as well as those at the other passenger rail sites, will make of that?

If I were to have gone overseas this August, as I have during the past six years, it would have been on a 787-9 (that seems to have become United's mainstay Trans-Atlantic aircraft - CV notwithstanding). I "wasn't exactly" looking forward to those flights, as you again have a seatmate in Business Class, and they control the window shades. So, there would have been no looking out at Greenland - but on the other hsnd, no Attendant to "jump me" for doing so.
  by dowlingm

The LRCs were mentioned above. When VIA Rail contracted with IRSI Moncton to refurb 92 cars, my understanding is that it ended up being far more challenging than expected due to, among other things, thinner than expected remaining aluminium in some places. The contract was terminated after a few cars were done - IRSI subsequently went into receivership
  by Tadman

The LRC is 40+ years old, has Via got their money out of that yet? Probably so. British carriers are fast sidelining the Mk3 of similar age at this time as well.

Also, how was the state of the LRC a mystery? Couldn’t they pull 3-4 aside and either tear them apart or issue a trial contract?
  by west point

About aluminum and painting. Aluminum airplanes made in the USA did not need painting although most were painted to meet marketing designs. The A-300s made in Europe had an interesting history. EAL had all of theirs painted to meet its designs . However American Airlines (AA) at that time had the polished Aluminum on their airplanes. But AA's A-300 ended up having a grey paint applied aftr delivery to the fuselage to minimic the polished aluminum . WHY? The aluminum that airbus used had to be painted. So painting depends on the type of aluminum!