Railroad Forums 

• One Seat rides NJCL

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1547842  by NY&LB

Received a notification from my local state senator today with a link to a petition to save one seat rides:

PROTECT MONMOUTH TRANSIT
One-seat rides—NJ Transit train lines that run directly from local stations to Penn Station New York—are critical for commuters and working families, connecting Long Branch, Red Bank, Asbury Park, Neptune, Eatontown, Tinton Falls, and many others to New York City. These lines create new jobs, boost small businesses, and raise property values.

But right now, they're at-risk for reduction or outright removal.

We're fighting to protect them—but our voices won't be enough. We need your voice to help make the case for protecting these vital rail services for working New Jersey families.

Last month, we made clear to NJ Transit and Governor Murphy that we'll fight against efforts to reduce Monmouth County rail services in exchange for increasing them elsewhere. Every working family in New Jersey should have access to sustainable, affordable public transportation—but that shouldn't mean taking services from people who already rely on them.

If these lines are taken away, many people are going to lose their jobs or be forced to find different—and possibly more expensive—transportation to work. Countless families have chosen their homes based on their proximity to these routes. Uprooting these commutes would mean uprooting their communities.

Add your name to the "Protect One-Seat Rides" petition today, and let NJ Transit know that we must protect these critical services—for ourselves, for our communities, and for our families.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Is there a proposal from NJT or the Governor to somehow eliminate one seat rides to NYP on the Coast Line?????

Note the errors referencing Eatontown and Tinton Falls!
 #1547861  by Yankees1

Wow, I wonder if they are thinking of adding 1 or 2 direct trains on the RVL and taking away a train or 2 from the NJCL. I could see them doing this and "replacing" the cut train with a Bay Head to Hoboken direct train- they actually recently did this to 2602.

I doubt they would touch the dual mode direct trains between NY and Bay Head, those are pretty packed year round.
 #1547862  by Yankees1

Actually I just found this article below. Looks like the a study came out with a bunch of different options for RVL full service implementation. 2 of these 6 potential scenarios would cut 2 NJCL peak trains.

Honestly I don't think RVL will get rush hour NYP service until Gateway is done. They should honestly lobby for service to Hoboken full time, as there is excess capacity there.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/ ... 426867002/
 #1547935  by mersk862

Yankees1 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:29 pm Actually I just found this article below. Looks like the a study came out with a bunch of different options for RVL full service implementation. 2 of these 6 potential scenarios would cut 2 NJCL peak trains.

Honestly I don't think RVL will get rush hour NYP service until Gateway is done. They should honestly lobby for service to Hoboken full time, as there is excess capacity there.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/ ... 426867002/
I saw a blurb about this in an email last night as well.

One of the big things that I think that needs to be fixed (and it was in the report Murphy mentioned about a month ago) is a flyover of the NEC leading to the eastbound tracks to NYP to hit slots at NYP (and through the tunnels). If a train is late, I've sat just short of the NEC plenty of times waiting for a gap to clear all the tracks to make it over to Track 1. You miss that at rush hour and that will screw a lot more things going in and out of Penn.

Add that and add Gateway and then I think it can be done.

As it is, on that first point I made, I live on the Westfield/Garwood line. I can walk to Garwood station in about 10-12 minutes, walk to Westfield is about 20 minutes - both plenty convenient. Still though, I'll hop in my car and drive the 10-12 minutes to Rahway and go from there if I'm traveling at rush hour - I won't have to change trains (good luck getting a seat for the NWK-NYP ride) and not stress about making a connection at NWK.