• Wye at Charlton, MA?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by JohnK

Group:

On the Boston and Albany RR, was there a turning wye at Charlton, MA? If so, can anyone tell me where it was? I cant see evidence of one on satellite views of the area.

Thank you,
-John K.
>
>
  by stvigi

John,

Are you sure it was in Charlton?
I looked at the UNH DIMOND LIBRARY Documents Department & Data Center Historic USGS Maps of New England & New York web site. Here is the link for the 1892 map ( http://docs.unh.edu/MA/wbst92nw.jpg ) I can only locate the B&A going through w/o splitting.

Hope it helps

Steve
  by GP40MC1118

There was a wye at Charlton. It was on the northside of the mainline, just east of the current interlocking.

D
  by jaymac

JohnK-
Assuming you were Gearthing, check just N of the short stretch of what seems like new ties at 42deg 10min 27.15 sec N/71deg 58min 51.43sec W. There appears to be a slight ghost of where the wye would have been, preserved -- maybe -- by rubber-tired traffic. In that immediate area, the elevation to the north seems relatively constant, and the stub environs of the wye would be obscured by six decades +/- of tree growth.
  by edbear

In Robert Willougby Jones' B & A books, Volume 2, page 160, there's a photo of 2-8-2 #1219 on the wye. There's a good sized hill behind it with a concrete retaining wall, cleared field and barn up near top of hill.
  by JohnK

Thanks for the replies. The maps (linked above) did it! The wye was right near Charlton Depot, although looking at Satellite images + aerial views, it's always been real hard for me to see any trace of it. Now that I see where it is, it jumps right out at me (sort of).

I presume this wye was for "helpers" to return to West Springfield?

Thank you all.

-John
  by dcm74

JohnK wrote:Thanks for the replies. The maps (linked above) did it! The wye was right near Charlton Depot, although looking at Satellite images + aerial views, it's always been real hard for me to see any trace of it. Now that I see where it is, it jumps right out at me (sort of).

I presume this wye was for "helpers" to return to West Springfield?

Thank you all.

-John
Actually the helpers were returning to Worcester.
  by CarterB

If you look at http://www.historicaerials.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the 1938 aerial view, you can clearly see the wye,
and if you use the (compare/slide) feature can relate it to today.
  by MrB

Thanks to Charlton having a twitter feed, their historical society posted a picture of the wye at Charlton Depot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.