• line into Denver and south of Sutherland, NE

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by dhaugh

My Colorado map labels part of the line into Denver from Julesburg and Sterling as UP. I'm pretty sure that's BNSF, but does UP have trackage rights there?

Also, south of Sutherland, Ne there is a power plant, which looks to be coal . Is it, and is it served by UP or by a NE regional? Dave

by John_Perkowski

According to US Geologic Survey (topo maps viewed on www.topozone.com) Julesburg is served by UP and Sterling by both UP and BNSF.

John Perkowski

by timz

I can never remember whose railroad it is/was eastward from Brush-- UP or CB&Q. Brush to Union, wasn't it? where the Q had rights on the UP, or vice versa. But Union to Julesburg was UP of course, and Brush to La Salle and Denver. Dunno how much of that line still exists.

by rhallanger

According to the SPV Atlas, here's the breakdown as of 1999.

UP from Denver via La Salle and then along South Platte River to Union. The BNSF from Denver via Fort Morgan.

At Union, the UP line via La Salle meets up with the BNSF (ex CB&Q) line (via Ft Morgan) from Denver.

BNSF then has trackage rights on the UP eastward to Sterling. At Sterling the BNSF continues east to Holdridge NE or North to Alliance NE. The UP continues NE to Julesburg.

BNSF owns all the track at Brush Jct and each direction out of there (NE, E and W).

by timz

"UP from Denver via La Salle and then along South Platte River to Union."

Some of which has been pulled up-- dunno how much.