• RIDOT 3rd Rail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by rb

Are there any websites on this project? I have searched quite a bit and have come up with nothing--seems strange that a project this serious would be carried out with no public information resource.

The state is funding it, right? The rumor, of course, is that it will connect to the planned container port at Quonset, but the Quonset Development Corp site makes no mention of the 3rd rail, and the RIDOT site seems to make no mention of the planned container port.

Pretty weird, but this seems to be the way things work in New England.

It also seems that P&W will have to buy out Seaview's lease of the state-owned Quonset terminal trackage (Seaview is another company with no web presence) to make this work--what ocean shipper would depend on a combination of 14-mile shortline plus regional plus Class I to move TEUs when they have direct access to CSX in NJ and CN in Halifax?

by AM@BRT

rb,
Funding for the "third rail" to Quonset Point / Davisville ("QP/D") is federal, and was/is part of the Northeast Corridor electrification project. The track will belong to the P & W, and will provide double-stack clearance to and from QP/D.
The massive port development proposed for QP/D is, regrettably, dead. However, a great deal of development will still occur there. It is believed that the double-stack clearance will be put to immediate use for the transportation of new automobiles (Subaru, Saab, Volvo, etc.) which are already using the port.
Seaview Railroad (O/O Bruce Hamilton) is more than capable of handling the work which presently exists, and, I believe, will rise to the challenge of the proposed new business.
Let us not forget that the Class Ones have no desire to perform industrial switching operations. The P & W happily does an EXCELLENT job of switching, and genuinely understands the concept of "Customer Service".
In the event that traffic volumes grow to the point at which entire trains originate at QP/D, I believe you will see a "run-through agreement", under which Class One power will be seen at QP/D.

by DutchRailnut

since a track consist of two rails and ties the project is misnomed.
its RIDOT Third track, not Third rail.
But than Hey you can't tell political apointees anything.

by Rockingham Racer

LOL!

by CSX Conductor

AM@BRT wrote:
Let us not forget that the Class Ones have no desire to perform industrial switching operations. The P & W happily does an EXCELLENT job of switching, and genuinely understands the concept of "Customer Service".
Does this mean you're not happy with CSX? LOL