Railroad Forums 

• Bi-level DMU: who can do it?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1542246  by Pensyfan19

I have read in the Florida Commuter Rail thread that the idea of having bi-level DMUs for commuter service is a great idea, but never reached its full potential on Tri-Rail since Colorado Railcar didn't make them in mass production, and they couldn't convince any other railroad, other than Tri-Rail and Alaska, to order these DMUs, and later went belly up. Considering how Colorado Railcar was not a "popular" company at the time in comparison to Bombardier, Kawasaki, Siemens or Alstom, could it be possible for any of these larger rolling stock manufacturers to successfully make and mass produce a bi-level DMU for commuter or intercity service?
 #1542342  by eolesen

Question is why would you do it? Because it looks cool?...

DMU's are typically used on low demand routes, with the exception of the CRM built Forest Service cars, which are unicorns designed for sight seeing, not transportation.

Throwing away justification for a moment... I don't think you could do it weight-wise. In addition to traction motors or a transmission, a DMU would need fuel tanks, a powerplant and cooling, all of which weigh considerably more than the electrical gear required by a EMU.
 #1542355  by Pensyfan19

eolesen wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:07 am Question is why would you do it? Because it looks cool?...

DMU's are typically used on low demand routes, with the exception of the CRM built Forest Service cars, which are unicorns designed for sight seeing, not transportation.

Throwing away justification for a moment... I don't think you could do it weight-wise. In addition to traction motors or a transmission, a DMU would need fuel tanks, a powerplant and cooling, all of which weigh considerably more than the electrical gear required by a EMU.
They could still be used for certain branch lines and even intercity services in order to have more capacity than single level cars. Hence the purpose of bi-level cars to seat more people while using less cars. I mentioned those specific builder in my first post on this discussion yesterday since all of them have made bi-level coach cars and EMUs, as well as DMUs, so maybe they can build DMUs as well.
 #1542962  by Pensyfan19

John_Perkowski wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:07 pm Nobody, until here’s an order in hand and cash the table.
Alright. Let's say Metra (as an example) is ordering bi-level DMUs (you do not need to go off on how they re too poor to order such equipment). Who could do the best job at making bi-level DMUs for them?
 #1542963  by John_Perkowski

In a word, vendors will look at the specs and make a bid-no bid decision.

METRA will decide either on a best value or lowest cost basis.

Do you even understand one whit of procurement management? It’s not based on the passengers or the foamers.
 #1542969  by Pensyfan19

John_Perkowski wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:15 pm In a word, vendors will look at the specs and make a bid-no bid decision.

METRA will decide either on a best value or lowest cost basis.

Do you even understand one whit of procurement management? It’s not based on the passengers or the foamers.
Based on that info, who would a new or existing railroad most likely choose for a new bi-level DMU??? This can also be based on each company's previous models and reputation.
 #1543051  by Pensyfan19

But the whole point of this topic is...WHO WOULD??? (actual answers/manufacturers please). Let's say a new commuter rail line is planning on buying bi-level DMUs. Who would they go to?