Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by One of One-Sixty

It is my understanding that although Pennsy ordered the Metroliners that they did not go into service until after the merger with New York Central.

So my questions are as follows:

1) How many of the Metroliners did Pennsy order, as well as how many variations was ordered?

2) Was there any real difference between the Pennsy Metroliners and the Penn Central ones, meaning did PC want certains things added or removed that PRR either had or did not have?

3) What types of horns was used for the Metroliners?

4) What was the orginal numbering squences, and did Penn Central alter the numbering for their needs?

Thanks for your time.

by JimBoylan

I think that the numbers stayed the same until Amtrak converted a particular unit to a cab control car. There were many modifications before and after Penn Central put them in service, but I doubt the merger was the reason, except for replacing the PRR keystones on the end. 11 Westinghouse equiped snack-bar coaches were ordered by an agency of the State of Pennsylvania for Harrisburg service, in addition to the original order of 60 cars for high speed service on the NorthEast Corridor.