Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut River Line (Pan Am)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1515294  by New Haven 1

I'm doing a little homework and, am hoping that someone can provide an answer. My question is does Pioneer Cold Storage of Chicopee have active rail service? When I google the location the satellite view shows an old spur on the grounds that clearly hasn't been connected to the Conn River main for some time. However, when perusing Indeed's job website there are warehouse positions whose descriptions mention "moving product into trailers or railcars". Reading this and knowing that Google's satellite images are often dated, I am hoping someone can clear this up. Thanks.
 #1515302  by EDFLD Bill

New Haven 1 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:14 pm I'm doing a little homework and, am hoping that someone can provide an answer. My question is does Pioneer Cold Storage of Chicopee have active rail service? Thanks.
The only customer in Chicopee is Hercules Chemical just south of MP S-6.
 #1541489  by mrj1981

Hi all - Couple of quick questions for the group regarding operations on the Conn River Line south of EDY:

- Someone posted a few shots of PVRR running to the interchange in Holyoke the other day (to the NERAIL site). I recall it was a bit of a big story when that interchange was restored, but it was only lightly used for a while. Is that still the case?
- In that set of pics from Holyoke, there was also visible a good number of blue containers on flatcars in the Holyoke yard, which I believe are hauling garbage. Has that traffic taken off much, or is it just a few cars here and there? I believe PAS is using the old CSX auto yard in Ayer for a similar purpose; I assume this is the brainchild of the NS marketing department.
- Finally - generally speaking, it looks like traffic between ED and PL is healthy, particularly the LPG (which I recognize is probably decently seasonal). I make this observation on the basis of reports here and there of trains of 30+ cars. Is traffic really up or does the length of the trains merely reflect the fact that they only run to PL twice a week?

Thanks in advance for any intel. As a New Englander stuck living in the DC area, I find any and all information posted to this forum to be very helpful and I appreciate all of it!

-MRJ
 #1541823  by conductorchris

Yes, the garbage traffic has taken off. I believe this is the brainchild of the Pan-Am marketing department, which is absolutely top-notch (last year as railroads were shedding business due to PSR, Pan-Am was growing).

"Healthy" is a subjective word, but yes: traffic to Plainfield is up considerably.

Christopher Parker
 #1541961  by Stp243

Pan Am and PVRR interchange loaded lumber cars for Lowes RDC in Westfield. Pan Am brings in the loaded cars and PVRR returns the empties. This exchange happens once a week but I am not sure of the days.