• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jeff Smith

There's been a fair amount of Cafe/Diner service interspersed into this topic; can we please keep it to V-II issues? Of course, comparisons to V-I's such as bathroom and air circulation are welcome, as are usage of the four versions: Baggage, Dorm/Bag, Sleeper, Diner are welcome. Not sure how Cafe attendants breaks relate. Please find the food service topic for that; it's a huge distraction in this topic.
  by ThirdRail7

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:37 pm 62506 - Rivianna River, and 62508 - Rocky River, are reported at another site to be delivered next week.

The Reporter is "deemed reliable".

That will make six cars on the property. When accepted (that of course will take a month), time for a revenue line?
It would be nice. I'm still not 100% positive sure all of the cars will actually make it to the LD trains. We'll see what the new leaders say but I still wouldn't be surprised if you saw the "day room" factor that Southern Railway used to discuss implemented on some routes.
  by bostontrainguy

From the horses mouth:

SLEEPING CARS
We plan to use the 25 Viewliner II sleeping cars to
increase capacity on various long-distance routes, as well
as a potential deployment to Northeast Regional Trains
65/67 and 66
. To avoid confusion with older Viewliner
I equipment, which offers a different number of rooms
per car and restroom set-up, we envision deployment
of Viewliner II sleeping cars on separate routes from
trains operating with Viewliner I sleeping cars. Specific
initial route assignments and deployment timing will be
determined by demand trends observed when sufficient
sleeping cars are ready for service.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... Y21-25.pdf
  by ApproachMedium

Amtrak doesnt even have 65/67 and 66 running right now lol
  by Alphaboi

So we're getting sleepers on the NE Corridor?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

by ApproachMedium

apparently we are. when they finally come. I think some were delievered and sent to miami but i have yet to see any return north.
  by gokeefe

Good news on both fronts. The return of a service long desired and consistency in equipment pools. It's a dream come true on many levels.
  by Tadman

bostontrainguy wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:43 pm To avoid confusion with older Viewliner
I equipment, which offers a different number of rooms
per car and restroom set-up, we envision deployment
of Viewliner II sleeping cars on separate routes from
trains operating with Viewliner I sleeping cars.
That's an interesting trick and a good one, too. I wonder if they mean different routes or just different train numbers, IE the Lakeshore.
  by Pensyfan19

Since we're talking about overnight service on the regional, could it possible to have an overnight NY to Pittsburgh service on the Pennsylvanian with these viewliners? Or even an overnight Carolinian or Empire service? ;)
  by ApproachMedium

Ive been saying for a long time that some of these daylight trains should have over night counterparts. I think the ones that would really do well are the two trains to Canada.
  by Jeff Smith

You don't need an overnight Pennsylvanian; according to Amtrak, it's a "9 hour 20 minute" trip. That wouldn't make sense, even point to point. Barely time to put on lounge pants...
  by ApproachMedium

That train, no I agree with you there. It doesnt need an overnight but it should have 3x rounders a day...

the two trains to canada make sense. With the amount of time it takes its a great overnight ride. Get on, have a cocktail, get some rest and wake up in the city. It was a thing at one point.
  by Backshophoss

At least there's a chance for # 65,66, and 67 to get a sleeper as was done in the past.
Of course after the "Night Owl" returns to service. :)

'
  by Jeff Smith

Definitely, The "Penn Ltd" needs more frequencies, although perhaps just within PA (Philly - H'Burg - P'Burgh) I rode it once, and I do remember getting in fairly late. I think there's more of an intrastate market there. Like we've been discussing, a "Keystone West".