Railroad Forums 

• COVID-19 Effects on SEPTA

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1540884  by MelroseMatt

rcthompson04 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:21 pm A few posts back someone asked if the CRRC are needed in light of a long term ridership drop. I would say yes for a few reasons. First, if you are going to have good social distancing on trains when things start coming back, you are going to need a lot more equipment even at reduced levels. Second, SEPTA has the locomotives already. It would be better off taking the CRRC cars and replace some of the Silverliner IVs with them.
It occurred to me that as of next year, the oldest Silverliner IV's will have been in service for 48 years - as long as the longest serving GG1s. The SL IV's can't go on forever, the new CRRC cars can definitely help maintain service levels as SL IV's are retired.

Has anyone seen the specs for the CRRC cars- What material is planned for the seating surfaces? Something easier to clean than the MFL cars, I hope?
 #1540961  by njtmnrrbuff

Septa is supposed to be ordering the same type of Multilevel MUs that NJT is ordering. I think the CRRC bilevels won't completely replace the Silverliner IVs or the Comets.
 #1540962  by septaglizzy27

bikentransit wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:25 pm 2 observations:
1. It appears pilot trains are running on OOS lines. I stopped by Bala and Wissinoming stations this week, both tracks look in use.
2. This pandemic will have ramifications for months if not years to come for mass transit. Even with a phased in re-opening, many are going to try avoiding public transit for as long as possible. Still hard to tell how long that stigma will last. In any case, there won't be money for projects.
what y'all mean by pilot cars?
 #1540967  by JeffK

septaglizzy27 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:25 pm what y'all mean by pilot cars?
Pilot trains are non-revenue trains run to ensure that the lines remain clear despite not carrying regular traffic.

The term can also be applied to a train, often just a locomotive or other single car, that precedes a scheduled train to make sure that the rails are clear and free of obstacles.
 #1541107  by ekt8750

MelroseMatt wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:39 am Has anyone seen the specs for the CRRC cars- What material is planned for the seating surfaces? Something easier to clean than the MFL cars, I hope?
I would assume they're getting the same type of seats the SLVs and the refurbished Comets got.
 #1542361  by mohawkrailfan

The Regional Rail reduced service map shows Chestnut Hill West trains terminating at North Philly. Are they actually cutting across to the CHW Line, or are they terminating at the Trenton Line station?
 #1542461  by CNJGeep

mohawkrailfan wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:55 am The Regional Rail reduced service map shows Chestnut Hill West trains terminating at North Philly. Are they actually cutting across to the CHW Line, or are they terminating at the Trenton Line station?
Neither. There are no trains on the CHW Line period.
 #1542578  by R36 Combine Coach

Wawa's Welcome America canceled, virtual event planned. Likely no more events that will require "added service" for this year.
The City of Philadelphia today (May 12) announced that the 2020 Wawa Welcome America festival will be delivered virtually in wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
 #1542622  by mohawkrailfan

CNJGeep wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:42 pm
mohawkrailfan wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:55 am The Regional Rail reduced service map shows Chestnut Hill West trains terminating at North Philly. Are they actually cutting across to the CHW Line, or are they terminating at the Trenton Line station?
Interesting. I wonder why they bothered to draw that little CHW spur off the Trenton Line on this map.
 #1542699  by rcthompson04

mohawkrailfan wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:03 pm
CNJGeep wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:42 pm
Interesting. I wonder why they bothered to draw that little CHW spur off the Trenton Line on this map.
Probably an error and forgot to remove it.
 #1545497  by sammy2009

ekt8750 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:35 pm
MelroseMatt wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:39 am Has anyone seen the specs for the CRRC cars- What material is planned for the seating surfaces? Something easier to clean than the MFL cars, I hope?
I would assume they're getting the same type of seats the SLVs and the refurbished Comets got.
Yes, the CRRC cars will have the same outfitting seating material as the SLV V. I seen it on their website.
https://www.crrcma.com/septa-double-dec ... l-project/