Railroad Forums 

• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1540553  by BR&P

We butted heads on here a few times but he was a decent guy, talked to him via PM several times when he moved to the Land Of The Free out in Oklahoma. I believe he moved back to these parts but hasn't renewed his interest in FGLK. Hey dude, if you're lurking, say hello!
 #1540618  by CPSmith

FGLK crews out working today. This view is from School St. looking to the west. Notice anything missing?
Attachments:
DSCN1665c.jpg
DSCN1665c.jpg (282.28 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
 #1540643  by CPSmith

Since my memory appears to be faulty - "damn, what DID I do with those brains cells, anyway …"

On a different note, here's the top of the hill looking west from Maple Ave. I hope they filled in the "locomotive inspection pit" - that would be a rough tumble!
Attachments:
DSCN1673e.JPG
DSCN1673e.JPG (68.92 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
 #1540645  by BR&P

I guess the days of the Insulator having 6 or 7 hoppers, plus a boxcar or two, on hand at once are not coming back. From a railfan perspective I wish that line had the traffic it did 40 years ago. From a business point of view, I'm surprised anything west of Manchester is still in place.
 #1540844  by C2629

I guess I dont have to worry about anybody beating my record of putting 7 cars on the ground while shoving up to the insulator plant.
 #1540940  by BR&P

C2629 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:24 pm I guess I dont have to worry about anybody beating my record of putting 7 cars on the ground while shoving up to the insulator plant.
Geez, first I have to set CP Smith straight, now it's you! :wink: There might have been 7 cars in the cut, but only 5 derailed. 10PM, Wednesday December 10, 1980. Had to get the Victor Highway Department out with a payloader to shove the un-derailed cars west of Maple Avenue to allow auto traffic to move. The final car was rerailed 2:10PM Friday the 12th. Somewhere I have pics, I'll add those to my list of things to find, scan and post. Cause was wide gauge due to deteriorated ties.
 #1540957  by BR&P

CPSmith wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:27 pm 5 or 7 - I think you have the ONCT record regardless. My high was 2.
I agree. Although as the years went by, the trains grew shorter. Hard to beat 5 when many of the trains were 2 or 3 at a time. :wink: