• Need Id's On These Locations

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by newkirk

Any ideas where these two photos were taken ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by MACTRAXX

BM: Good pictures here - here's my thoughts:

1-Richmond Hill/Jamaica storage yard. I have always been interested in the KCS passenger cars that the LIRR purchased in the late 1960s.
Is there a number and name list available and how many that there were?
How about the other intercity cars from railroads such as the Florida East Coast?

2-Morris Park outside the shop at an inspection pit. Just noticed that there is no
blue and yellow MTA color in this 1969 picture.
The orange and gray World's Fair color scheme was arguably one of the LIRR's
best...Hard to believe both pictures are around 50 years old...MACTRAXX
  by RGlueck

I was in my 18th year when the KCS cars came on line, along with the PRR lightweights, the FEC, EL, and B&O observations. There was a yellow UP diner in the mix, and a bunch of NH stainless cars. It made for terrific train pictures, but it sadly sounded the death knell for the heavyweight parlor cars.
I always loved the C420's. They were great looking locomotives and the "swoosh" World's Fair paint scheme looked great. When the MTA locos arrived in pastel colors we got a few slides, but once the World's Fair scheme began to disappear, the pastels were repainted as well.
It was about that time we younger railfans started chasing anything non-MTA. The M1's were about as interesting as mayonaisse, but we shot those as well. I still can't believe those new M1's are all gone.
  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:11 pm "...here's my thoughts: 1-Richmond Hill/Jamaica storage yard..."

Yes, here's another: ex-KCS #265 coach - Richmond Hill Storage Yard 1968
Archive: Dave Keller Image

From my Passenger/Baggage/Combine/RPO Car History page: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/passen ... istory.htm

The list: American Car & Foundry Built: 1940-1948
Former KCS coaches 251-266 renumbered:
8554 ex-KCS 251
8555 " 252
8556 " 253
8557 " 254
8558 " 255
8559 " 256
8560 " 257
8561 " 258
8562 " 259
8563 " 261
8564 " 262
8565 " 263
8566 " 264
8567 " 265
8568 " 266
8573 " 260
Note: The gap between 8569 and 8572 used to number the Florida East Coast coaches, class P80D, with names and not numbers. Mike Boland

Budd 1946 Built 1946 Sold to the LIRR 1/1969 repainted 1970 coaches. Retired 1974.
8569 Boynton
8570 Homestead
8571 Bunnell
8572 Titusville (retained name)

2-Morris Park outside the shop at an inspection pit.

Might it be locations #10-11: "..."Put it on the Patio" Place the locomotive on one of two tracks off the turntable where the present Morris Park roundhouse ends (c.1970) consisting of a large concrete slab and pits between the rails where locomotives are washed.
  by MACTRAXX

Steve: Thanks for the reply and list of the KCS cars.

That added 1968 picture from the Richmond Hill Storage Yard is a good example.
I just can not get over how much litter was on the tracks there.

BM: I noticed that the KCS car in your picture "Jim Edson"(?) has L&A Railway heritage...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_ ... as_Railway
The Louisiana and Arkansas Railway was absorbed by KCS during the 1960s.
MACTRAXX
  by newkirk

MACTRAXX wrote: BM: I noticed that the KCS car in your picture "Jim Edson"(?) has L&A Railway heritage...
Thank you, would anyone know what the MTA #85XX number of that coach was ?
  by BuddR32

The inspection pit photo in Morris Park, except for the engines, looks exactly the same today. wood decking next to the pits, porcelain/steel lamp shades suspended and that yellow traffic signal type enclosure are still there. Any name for the man in the photo?
  by newkirk

BuddR32 wrote: Any name for the man in the photo?
Nope, he looks like he's ready to pull the switch on something.
  by Kelly&Kelly

I just can not get over how much litter was on the tracks there.
How times change. Remember the station tracks in Jamaica with six inches of cigarette butts covering the ties?

Or when thousands of newspaper blew across every layup yard? Some cleaners even swept them right out the doors...

How about VD Yard where hundreds of Daily News trucks were cleaned yesterdays' news?
  by Cannon Ball

Mactraxx and Newkirk: The ex-L&A car "Job Edson" (not Joe) is LI 2048, one of three ex_L&A cars of its type built by Pullman in 1948 and bought by LI in August, 1968, and assigned LI class P80B. LI numbers were applied immediately to vestibules only. Built as 24-seat 14-roomette 4-double bedroom cars. The others were "Leonor Loree" which became LI 2049, and "William Edenborn" which became LI 2050. Repainted into LI colors in May (2050), June (2049) and August (2048), 1971. 2048 was assigned LI name "Manhasset" (2nd car so named), 2049 was assigned LI name "Massapequa" (second car so named) and 2050 was assigned "Mastic" (second car so named), but the names were never actually applied to the carsides when repainted. All three were sold to E. Tuman Demolition.
  by 4behind2

Second KCS photo is Track 2 in the Storage Yard. Other KCS photo is Storage Yard too.

Morris Park photo is the North Pit.
  by newkirk

Three new locations I need some help on.

#1 - This one baffles me.

#2 - The old Ronkonkoma yard ?

#3 - Springfield Gardens station demolition ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Pensyfan19

#1 is right at Hicksville station looking West, 2 and 3 seem accurate to your guesses.
  by 4behind2

Photo One: west end of Hicksville Station
Photo Two: KO or SK
Photo Three: Old Springfield Gardens Station
  by newkirk

Thanks for your help.

Now two more of ALCO C-420 #229.

Thanks for your assistance.