Railroad Forums 

• Interesting consists

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1526822  by glennk419

Just heard what sounded like a push-pull set coming through Roslyn at 11:14. Most likely a training run, hope they are returning to the Warminster line.
 #1534209  by CNJGeep

278 has been renumbered 144 and mated to 143. It's a long term project at Overbrook.

144 will be renumbered to 278 and potentially made a spare control car for the gel trains.
 #1534210  by glennk419

CNJGeep wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:46 am 278 has been renumbered 144 and mated to 143. It's a long term project at Overbrook.

144 will be renumbered to 278 and potentially made a spare control car for the gel trains.
It's amazing that they were able to salvage 144 at all, given the apparent damage from the fire. Obviously there was no frame damage.
 #1534220  by CNJGeep

glennk419 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:57 am
CNJGeep wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:46 am 278 has been renumbered 144 and mated to 143. It's a long term project at Overbrook.

It's amazing that they were able to salvage 144 at all, given the apparent damage from the fire. Obviously there was no frame damage.
Whether or not they'll be able to actually make something out of it is anyone's guess. I heard it was going to be the next pet project at Wayne after the 50 is fixed.
 #1539434  by rcthompson04

For the Lifeline Service, I have been tracking the consists and it appears they are only running Silverliner IVs (usually in 4 car consists). Has the decision been made to park the Silverliner Vs for the duration of the crisis?
 #1539448  by MACTRAXX

RCT: Interesting observation about SEPTA MU consists under Lifeline Service...

Is this what you are seeing running between Malvern/Paoli and Lansdale?

From the schedules there are basically three routes paired up with Trenton trains
originating/terminating at Temple University (most likely out of Roberts Yard).
The other two pairings are Airport-Warminster and Elwyn/Media-Fox Chase.

The question is:
How many MU cars are required to provide the current Lifeline RRD service?
MACTRAXX
 #1539449  by glennk419

An outbound Warminster train that came through Roslyn this afternoon around 4:10 was definitely not SLIV's. I was unable to get a visual but it sounded like a push-pull set.
 #1539470  by rcthompson04

MACTRAXX wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:24 pm RCT: Interesting observation about SEPTA MU consists under Lifeline Service...

From the schedules there are basically three routes paired up with Trenton trains

The question is:
MACTRAXX
I have been tracking the consists running between 30th and Jefferson on the app every couple hours. Seems to be the same pattern of 4 car Silverliner IV consists.

Specifically between Lansdale and Malvern it looks like they are running the same 2 four car consists all day long.
 #1539487  by Silverliner II

glennk419 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:50 pm An outbound Warminster train that came through Roslyn this afternoon around 4:10 was definitely not SLIV's. I was unable to get a visual but it sounded like a push-pull set.
Probably Silverliner V's, since none of the push-pull sets are running. One set is parked at Roberts, one at Powelton, and all the rest are at Frazer.
 #1539508  by rcthompson04

Checked the Train tracker this morning and all trains at 730am were running 4 car consists of Silverliner IVs with one of the Airport to Warminster trains running a 2 car consist of Silverliner IVs.
 #1539509  by MACTRAXX

rcthompson04 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:52 pm
MACTRAXX wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:24 pm RCT: Interesting observation about SEPTA MU consists under Lifeline Service...

The question is:
MACTRAXX
I have been tracking the consists running between 30th and Jefferson on the app every couple hours. Seems to be the same pattern of 4 car Silverliner IV consists.

Specifically between Lansdale and Malvern it looks like they are running the same 2 four car consists all day long.
RCT: I downloaded both lifeline schedules and combined them on paper.

Answering my own original question I came up with three train sets making six
one way trips each between Malvern and Lansdale over the course of a day.
The train numbers are included on both timetables making figures easier.
With four MU cars assigned to each set that is just 12 cars total.

Both lines have a morning train terminating downtown:
#9514 from Malvern 5:51 AM>Temple University 6:52 AM
#6507 from Lansdale 5:51 AM>30th Street Station 6:49 AM
These two trains look to be equipment moves of some type.

The scheduled running time between Malvern and Lansdale is:
1 hour and 42 minutes. (46 miles thereabouts)

I was surprised by the long turnaround times at both Malvern and Lansdale.
Turn at Malvern: 1 hour 18 minutes; Turn at Lansdale: 1 hour 15 minutes.

It would be interesting to combine the other two routes FXC-ELW and WAR-AIR
along with what the Trenton Line requires to get an idea of how many cars are
needed to provide the current Lifeline Service...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1539522  by rcthompson04

I saw a train on the app today around 930am with the code X448 running from Suburban Station to Cymwyd. Presuming this is some sort of train running to keep the system operational.