Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1538013  by ThirdRail7

JimBoylan wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:19 pm The Northbound Auto Train that left Sanford Sat. Mar. 28 2 Hours, 20 minutes late, and the Southbound version that arrived almost on time Sun. Mar. 29, both transmitted speeds, locations, and other information on their regular routes in Florida:
https://asm.transitdocs.com/train/2020/3/28/53
https://asm.transitdocs.com/train/2020/3/28/52
Thanks....um...but the train TODAY....is heading south to LAK to go north...unless coming up to WPK (like it is now) is the new route.
 #1538018  by STrRedWolf

ThirdRail7 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:24 pm https://twitter.com/AmtrakAlerts/status ... 1571360768
SERVICE ADVISORY: Auto Train 52 / 53 scheduled to depart Sanford (SFA) / Lorton (LOR) on 3/30 and 3/31 are cancelled.
What the heck happened to that track??
I doubt it's the track. I bet they don't have people traveling on it, so why run it? All the major attractions are closed!
 #1538025  by lordsigma12345

STrRedWolf wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:15 pm
ThirdRail7 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:24 pm https://twitter.com/AmtrakAlerts/status ... 1571360768
SERVICE ADVISORY: Auto Train 52 / 53 scheduled to depart Sanford (SFA) / Lorton (LOR) on 3/30 and 3/31 are cancelled.
What the heck happened to that track??
I doubt it's the track. I bet they don't have people traveling on it, so why run it? All the major attractions are closed!
Snowbirds heading home. Some people that rent likely have no choice but to go home regardless of the situation and some probably won’t want to (or are unable) to handle the full drive. Most other trains in the system are dead but it sounds like northern auto train right now is getting at least some snowbird traffic which is unfortunate that it had to have the incident the other day.
 #1538031  by JimBoylan

Today's Northbound Mar. 29 Auto Train 52 was reported in Dade City on the detour route at 8:02 p.m.
 #1538040  by Backshophoss

The final kicker of this CSX created wreck is Amtrak is stuck with the final costs of vehicle replacement
and possibly a small reorder to the car builder of the Auto carriers that were destroyed by the contract wrecking crews.
Hopefully the personal items that were stowed in the vehicles totaled can be returned to the passengers on that ill fated trip.
 #1538046  by Backshophoss

Lack of track inspections by their track dept. CSX is not the greatest track to be on,have destroyed well maintained track on former CR
trackage on a regular basis. :( :( :P
 #1538067  by JimBoylan

Yesterday's Southbound Auto Train is reported on its regular route in Florida on Mon., Mar. 30. Yesterday's Silver Star No. 91 is right behind it. The Northbound version of the Auto Train that used the detour is still in North Carolina, South of Wilson at 8:11 A.m., and estimated to be more than 4 hours late.
 #1538074  by ThirdRail7

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:29 am
I certainly agree, Mr. Moore; consider my comments as "premature" and based upon early reports that it was "no big thing".

While not Crescent City, as that involved injuries and even fatalities, this incident "is a big thing".

Let the Amtrak/CSX "finger pointing" begin.
Backshophoss wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:06 am Lack of track inspections by their track dept. CSX is not the greatest track to be on,have destroyed well maintained track on former CR
trackage on a regular basis. :( :( :P
Backshophoss wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:26 pm The final kicker of this CSX created wreck is Amtrak is stuck with the final costs of vehicle replacement
and possibly a small reorder to the car builder of the Auto carriers that were destroyed by the contract wrecking crews.
Hopefully the personal items that were stowed in the vehicles totaled can be returned to the passengers on that ill fated trip.
lordsigma12345 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:33 am Is the owner of this segment currently CFRC with dispatch by CSX? My understanding was CFRC only dispatches the section up to Debary that sunrail actually runs on but owns portions further to the north with dispatch still by CSX. Please correct me if I am incorrect:

I keep reading these comments but I think: Do we know for sure this happened on CSX territory?

A brief fair quote from this article may throw water on the idea

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... in-deland/
The derailment occurred between the intersection of South Beresford Road and West Beresford Road near the Amtrak station at Old New York Avenue.
This area is south of DLD and unless I'm mistaken, that would put the accident just inside the limits of CFCRC's territory.

So, again, are we sure this is CSX's maintenance or is Bombardier's area of responsibility?
 #1538086  by bostontrainguy

The track north of Deland is going to soon be Amtrak's and CSX is supposed to rebuild it.

Florida — Amtrak Sanford Subdivision Infrastructure Renewal ProjectUp to $3,850,000
National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak)
Rehabilitates 52 miles of CSX Transportation’s A-Line between Palatka and DeLand train stations in Florida. CSX will transfer the renovated track’s ownership to Amtrak.

The track south of Deland is part of this agreement:

Negotiations with Amtrak subsequently led to a dispute over which party would bear liability for incidents on Amtrak trains operating on the route, which would be owned by SunRail—Amtrak wanted SunRail to assume responsibility for such incidents, while SunRail wanted Amtrak to be liable. The purchase of the trackage from CSX could not be completed until an agreement with Amtrak was reached. On December 10, 2010, it was announced that Amtrak and the state had apparently reached a deal regarding the issue, as Amtrak had dropped its opposition to the sale. On July 1, 2011, Florida Department of Transportation Secretary Ananth Prasad announced that Scott had finally approved the project.

So this accident occured in the no-man's land between Sanford and Deland. It's SunRail's track but they don't use it. So who if anybody is maintaining it? It would appear that CSX has no responsibility here and is pretty much off the hook.
 #1538097  by lordsigma12345

ThirdRail7 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:27 am
This area is south of DLD and unless I'm mistaken, that would put the accident just inside the limits of CFCRC's territory.

So, again, are we sure this is CSX's maintenance or is Bombardier's area of responsibility?
Does CFRC indeed dispatch the whole territory up to DeLand or is it only the segment on which SunRail operates? I can't remember where the switch over point on my radio scanner was on my last trip.