Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1537842  by Rockingham Racer

lordsigma12345 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:46 am They must have a plan to get 53 through to Sanford even though they didn't allow the Silver service.
I think it would be possible to go JAX, west to Baldwin, south to Plant City, east to Auburndale, then north thru Orlando and on to Sanford. Back in at Sanford.
 #1537843  by JimBoylan

They would be headed the wrong way at Sanford, and have to back all the autos out of the carriers.
 #1537849  by rhallock

I just spoke with my sister who was on the train. They arrived in Lorton safely and Amtrak is providing a rental car with a $100 credit card. She only found out that her car was among the missing when her name was not called to pick it up. Regarding the cancelled trains, There is an alternate route via Wildwood and Ocala that Amtrak used to use. I rode it myself once. Is there any good reason why this is not being used now? The Silver Star (#92) was in Tampa yesterday afternoon. How hard would it have been to go north that way instead of making everyone go back home?
 #1537858  by bdawe

rhallock wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:55 pm Regarding the cancelled trains, There is an alternate route via Wildwood and Ocala that Amtrak used to use. I rode it myself once. Is there any good reason why this is not being used now? The Silver Star (#92) was in Tampa yesterday afternoon. How hard would it have been to go north that way instead of making everyone go back home?

that looks like what they're doing with the next inbound auto train https://asm.transitdocs.com/train/2020/3/26/53
 #1537862  by bostontrainguy

bdawe wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:04 pm
rhallock wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:55 pm Regarding the cancelled trains, There is an alternate route via Wildwood and Ocala that Amtrak used to use. I rode it myself once. Is there any good reason why this is not being used now? The Silver Star (#92) was in Tampa yesterday afternoon. How hard would it have been to go north that way instead of making everyone go back home?

that looks like what they're doing with the next inbound auto train https://asm.transitdocs.com/train/2020/3/26/53
Now that is interesting. I need to get over to Wildwood!
 #1537868  by Gilbert B Norman

This sounds like a "rare mileage detour" 53 (26) is making. It appears to be using a routing used by the Star after CSX chopped the SAL Coleman-Auburndale and when it was routed through Orlando. It of course represented quite a sight on the SAL passing through Waldo and Ocala- and within sight of The Villages, the 100K strong adult community <SNIP>. At Coleman, it was on the ACL through Zephyrhills converging near Lakeland with the existing Star route - albeit a Southbound train heading North.

Finally, such a move must have "turned a head or two" in Orlando and Winter Park.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Gratuitous political reference
 #1537874  by lordsigma12345

Hopefully they finally got into Sanford and all passengers were offered a credit or refund. As bad a trip south as these pax got at least they got some rare mileage. Hopefully auto train will be able to resume normal ops tomorrow and they get to the bottom of the Deland track failure
 #1537878  by Gilbert B Norman

That a derailment incident involving 52(26) occurred, of course.

Anything involving the reroute of 53(26), beyond anecdotal speculation occurring at other sites, we do not.
 #1537879  by photobug56

I've heard several fatalities, no fatalities, a few cars derailed, most of the cars derailed. Nothing like good, timely accurate news!
 #1537889  by Gilbert B Norman

Now one must wonder for its (timetable) Northbound Lakeland to Sanford run, did they get CSX power to handle the train backwards or did they wye the train at Lakeland and head North forward?

I think "life would have been simpler" had not Coleman-Auburndale been yanked. Life would have been further simplified had they hired CSX power and operated the train backwards to Sanford.

There have been reports at other sites that 53(26) operated forward Lakeland to Sanford. If that be the case, how will they wye the equipment? This is necessary because the entire operation is based on cars with "A-end" facing Northward and with the auto carriers placed so that vehicles are loaded facing North at LOR and South at SFA; unloaded v.v.

Very succinctly, think of AT as a "shuttle".

EKG was a "genius"; and Amtrak acquired all his institutional expertise - for One Dollar.

Thoughts; especially from those around here "who do this stuff for a living".
 #1537903  by bostontrainguy

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:47 am EKG was a "genius"; and Amtrak acquired all his institutional expertise - for One Dollar.
I don't know about that. My understanding is that he basically stole the idea from the DOT and he was not a good CEO. The expansion and the wrecks of course did it in.

I personally did believe in the concept and lost a lot of money that I invested. I was in mourning when I saw pics of those unique cars being cut up for scrap. I will add that I was lucky enough to ride the original and it was a wonderful experience. Those full length dome cars were very special.

So hats off to Mr. Garfield for at least pulling it off. He wasn't a "genius" or good businessman but he did create something special especially with his selection of cool rolling stock.