Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Corona Virus COVID19 Service Disruptions

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1536217  by Kelly&Kelly

Not to be outdone by any other state, and for other political purposes, New York Governor Cuomo has requested the LIRR prepare plans for a total shutdown on a five-hour notice. It would be a contingency if the Governor mandated a prohibition against travel within the state, which he could order under legislation approved Friday.

Normal procedures for curtailing service during an outage such as a strike calls for moving all equipment to places where it can be staged for a quick restoration of service. In a long term disruption, equipment is placed in locations where it could be secured against vandalism, like major yards and terminals.

During any disruption, crew dispatchers prepare crew boards daily and most facilities are staffed with small crews who would keep the physical plant in a state of good repair.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Retitled for Search Indexing
 #1536220  by CarterB

Cuomo and DeBlabio already went on air to tell public NOT to use crowded trains. "wait for uncrowded train, or take bike or walk to work"""
 #1536432  by DogBert

Any further word on this? I haven't seen a peep about it in the news. Two rank and file guys (one at lirr, another at MN) I asked said they hadn't heard anything about it either (though I imagine this is the sort of thing Cuomo would love to keep very quiet - seems like everyone I talk to is anticipating some kind of panic within the next two weeks).
 #1536433  by CarterB

Cuomo and BeBlabio just had news conference, telling people to avoid subways and commuter rail. Again told the folk to walk, bike or stay home.
 #1536440  by Backshophoss

After the National news picked up the New Rochelle containment zone, Figure MN got the same orders from Cuomo.
The Buses my be next on the Island and Westchester county.
 #1537593  by Kelly&Kelly

The “MTA Essential Service Plan” will curtail LIRR service by about 35% beginning Friday, while preserving regular rush-hour schedules.

Ridership is down 76%. The schedule cannot be maintained with many employees are not showing up for work.
 #1537617  by RGlueck

Not to get political, and as much as I dislike orders from the top down, this virus is nothing to screw around with. People who are older, have pre-existing conditions, or compromised in some manner will either die or come close to death. This isn't a mild case of the flu, even though (not to get political) the big idiot in White House says so. In better times, LIRR and Metro-North trains are the life arteries of the city, but in this case major reduction in service is warranted, cost effective, and pro-active.
Not to get political.
 #1537665  by Jeff Smith

Let's keep the political hyperbole' out of the discussion; this thread is for service disruptions, etc. Posts must be related to that, please.

https://new.mta.info/precautions-against-coronavirus

LIRR
Weekday capacity on the Long Island Rail Road will be reduced by about 68%. We'll be running around 500 trains each day, compared to more than 740 trains on a usual weekday.

We’ll have crews and equipment on standby in case we need to supplement service.

LIRR and Metro-North
All Metro-North and LIRR ticket counters are closed. Use ticket vending machines or the MTA eTix app. The ticket office/waiting room at Jamaica will close from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. nightly.
 #1537671  by MattAmity90

Does this mean that all LIRR construction projects are suspended or will they go on as usual? I'm asking this because we have East Side Access, the Third Track Project, the elimination of the New Hyde Park Road grade crossing, construction of the elevators at both Merillon Avenue & Carle Place, reconfiguration of NASSAU, etc. underway.
 #1537694  by MattAmity90

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:34 pm Some outside work is continuing. Some contractors have stopped work and some suppliers have closed. All internal maintenance continues, though at a slower rate due to a reduced workforce.

I saw video of work continuing in New Hyde Park, but I'm guessing that will not be affected. I guess that since it is outside and they work far apart and have to wear protective gear to begin with, business will still be the same as usual.
 #1537703  by Rbts Stn

Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:21 pm

LIRR
Weekday capacity on the Long Island Rail Road will be reduced by about 68%. We'll be running around 500 trains each day, compared to more than 740 trains on a usual weekday.
I'm not real good at math, but that looks more like a 33% reduction to me.
 #1537719  by rcthompson04

Rbts Stn wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:27 am
Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:21 pm

LIRR
I'm not real good at math, but that looks more like a 33% reduction to me.
Reducing the size of the trains?
 #1537756  by freightguy

It would appear most of the third party contractors want to keep plugging along on the MTA. Probably tougher times lie ahead and I would imagine certain projects are going to be shutdown either do to manpower or financial issues. We just had our general crew pick at Metro North for train and engine service. This is going to get interesting real quick.