Railroad Forums 

• Current status of Staten Island Railway? (Cranford to Linden)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1536629  by MaRoFu

While browsing Google Street View along the line, I’ve noticed that the pictures (taken in 2019) appear to show workers tearing up the track along portions of the line, with wooden boards and gravel paths being placed at parts. Is this rail line being turned into a rail trail? I haven’t been able to find any press articles for such a trail if it is being built.
 #1536632  by Ken W2KB

MaRoFu wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:25 pm While browsing Google Street View along the line, I’ve noticed that the pictures (taken in 2019) appear to show workers tearing up the track along portions of the line, with wooden boards and gravel paths being placed at parts. Is this rail line being turned into a rail trail? I haven’t been able to find any press articles for such a trail if it is being built.
No, the construction is by Public Service Electric and Gas Company as part of its billion dollar plus multi-year electric transmission reinforcement project. The existing overhead transmission is being replaced by higher Voltage and capacity lines. I don't think track was being removed, rather the right of way was being filled and covered with temporary wooden roadway to support heavy construction equipment for the project. See: https://www.psegtransmission.com/reliab ... nco-linden