Railroad Forums 

• Hoosac Tunnel Discussion & News

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1536019  by QB 52.32

Even when it comes to Pan Am Southern, strip away the NS-marketed autos and intermodal and CSX is at least as important an interchange partner as NS and has non-"testy"-ly worked to keep its PAS traffic flowing.
 #1536043  by newpylong

PBMcGinnis wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:10 am Who says that CSX has been "testy" with Pan Am?

They are running 100+ car trains between Ayer and Worcester in both directions daily, including an extra each way when both parties have crews available.

There is a lot of traffic at Portland and Selkirk. Most of it is the last effects of the CN/CP shutdowns in Canada as those blockades just ended earlier this week on March 2nd. So there were 1000s of cars already in transit trying to use Pan Am and CSX as a bypass around New Brunswick and Ontario.
I think he meant NS.
 #1536232  by steam1246

Why are approximately 15 auto racks currently (7:30 P. M.) on the siding at North Walpole, supposedly to be picked up by NECR #323 on its way north tonight? How did the racks get to North Walpole? Is it possibly part of a new detour route via CN to the west?
 #1536294  by NHV 669

steam1246 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:46 pm 15 auto racks
They probably got there via the GMRC, like the others. 324 was supposed to grab them this morning. Headed to Davisville, just like the others.
 #1536303  by pumpers

Not quite sure I follow. I thought the detours were run-throughs from NS in the Saratoga area all the way to Ayers. Are you saying the detours are dropping cars (for NECR) at Bellow Falls, rather than take them to Ayers . And NECR is taking them to P&W (at New London?) to go to Davisville, rather than P&W picking them up wherever they got them from PAS before (Gardner?) Jim S
NHV 669 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:15 am
steam1246 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:46 pm 15 auto racks
They probably got there via the GMRC, like the others. 324 was supposed to grab them this morning. Headed to Davisville, just like the others.
 #1536309  by NHV 669

CP would take that NS train between Saratoga and Whitehall, but it definitely originates west of Binghamton. I guess these are CP cars, not sure which train dropped them. They're on 611, beats me why they would send them that way and let them sit several hours for 324. However, this route is marketed as the "Green Mountain Gateway" via VRS' web site, so it's going that way for a reason. I thought the last rack trains went straight to P&W at Gardner, Ayer still has the traffic embargo.
 #1536348  by PBMcGinnis

While the Worcester interchange (aka Barbers) has seen an additional 2 trains a day recently it seems like the traffic to Maine is moving ok.

But with a lot of East Deerfield traffic still at Selkirk wonder if CSX will consider running a train to West Springfield for PAS to then run up the Conn River to East Deerfield that way.
 #1536363  by newpylong

They're running RJEDs over the VTR as well as combined 16R/RJEDs and the reverse to each. I am sure they would love to grab the trains in Spring as opposed to running these monsters over the VTR only when they have crews available. Though the # of PAS crews qualified to Spring (and beyond) is usually very few as well.
 #1536391  by johnpbarlow

There is a set of postings on the Eastern Railroad News Facebook page stating that last evening (Tues) a 114 car southbound freight was sighted rolling down the Conn River line through South Deerfield led by a 4 axle trailed by two 6 axle engines. Perhaps an EDRJ detour by way of Springfield?
 #1536441  by Plate C

I don't social media, assume people may have heard NECR had an issue getting those auto racks down to New London. Any word on more east or west?
Passing through Springfield this morning I saw a freight left on the Conn River line. Think they've done that before with the CT bound PAR traffic but then again I saw a bunch of hoppers that I don't think go to CT. It was still there as of about noon.
 #1536447  by NHV 669

Yes, 611 took down some power lines in Belchertown and started a small brush fire. Racks made it to Palmer and Willi, last update I saw was that they were in Thompson, CT, at 8 and change this am on NRWO. The next eastbound rack detour made it into Gardner before noon, with WOGR headed that way a few hours later. Apparently these CP racks can't go that way for legal logistical reasons, that knowledge is beyond me as a mere mortal civilian.
 #1537142  by johnpbarlow

Interesting video - I'm guessing those white bags that are stacked up are full of shotcrete waiting to be sprayed on as the new tunnel lining? Has the diversion of the water flowing into the west portal area been completed?