• Genesis discussion (AMD-103, P40DC, P42DC)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by dgvrengineer

The biggest problem for any Dash 8 unit is the computer system. As long as it is working everything is great. As everyone knows, computers do go bad. The Dash 8's do not use any off the shelf computer system or software. It is proprietary to GE and GE long ago quit supporting it. It is also hard wired in that the software cannot be upgraded or changed without changing the circuit boards. So everything on a unit can be in great shape but if the computer gets a glitch you are screwed. The only way to fix it is to take one out of another unit. Starting with the Dash 9's, GE changed the computer to a slightly more user friendly system that allows the software to be upgraded or changed as needed.
  by DutchRailnut

Dash 8 technology, and all electric parts are getting scares not just computer .
  by njtmnrrbuff

P40s still ply the rails. Not just on Amtrak trains, but CDOT's commuter routes as well.
  by 8th Notch

mtuandrew wrote:Huh, for some reason it didn’t occur to me that P40s are still in daily service, but I’m sitting right next to ALX watching 97(30) depart behind P42 #206 and P40 #824.
There are quite a few of them still running although they have been upgraded to the same spec as the P42’s. I know the auto train is one of the more common trains to catch them on.
  by Tadman

mtuandrew wrote:Huh, for some reason it didn’t occur to me that P40s are still in daily service, but I’m sitting right next to ALX watching 97(30) depart behind P42 #206 and P40 #824.
They were all out of service at one point, so you're not losing your mind. Around 2014 some were rebuilt. I could be wrong but it seems it was very timely, as the trucks cracking problem arose shortly thereafter.
  by east point

Wild speculation
1. Failures of P-42s have been great this past week. Just look at the mechanical delays listed on various trains.
2. Anderson talk of cancelling part of SWC and or other LD trains.
3. Most information about the past sale of some locos seems to indicate that those locos are junk?

Could it be that Amtrak is going to be on a track that the P-40s and 42s will have major failures before the Chargers come on line? Thank goodness that the short haul Chargers are already coming on line!
Last edited by east point on Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Tadman

Last week is some of the most severe weather on record. Let's not write an obituary just yet.
  by Backshophoss

The entire P-40/42 Fleet is worn out and overdue for rebuilding,the kicker is most of the -8 parts are now no longer made or stocked by GE,
As it stands now,the "shop queens" and major part failure units will be the first to land in the deadline at Beech Grove
as the first wave of Chargers goes online.
Some ill advised sales of some of the P-40's to NJT and ConnDOT and a loss of units to wrecks and fires doesn't help,
so there were very few protect/reserve units around.
Last stand for the P-40's, Auto Train.
Last stand for the P-42's Silver service(florida) or the Sunset Ltd
Possible Museum "home" IRM as static display.
  by WhartonAndNorthern

When they did the initial RFI for what became the ALC-42 LD Charger order, the RFI indicated that Amtrak would consider new build locomotives as well as rebuilding P42s to AC traction and a I believe EPA Tier 2. Either no one bit or the offers were unreasonable.
  by Backshophoss

GE before the Wabtec "takeover" had offered up the GEVO repower kit to Amtrak,based on the HSP-46 kit for MBTA,
not sure if Amtrak took a look at that kit.
Should be noted that there was plenty of teething problems with the HSP-46. They also had bad turbo's from the factory. :(
The SC-44(LD)chargers use a barely proven prime mover(Cummings),lets see how well it holds up over time.
  by mtuandrew

Moderator Note: it’s irked me for a while that Amtrak’s main motive power doesn’t have a common thread - so here you go. Tossed a bunch of old threads into this one, from design to purchase to maintenance & ops to disposition.
  by east point

This poster has a real concern about P-40 and P-42 retirements. It is the unbelievable number of grade crossing accidents. For me maybe Amtrak should use the GEs to be a sacrifice to the many tractor trailers that just love to get in front of any Amtrak train. So how to mitigate this problem. ? Just let the GEs lead a charger on all trains thus saving the Chargers from most but not all dumb vehicle drivers ? Unless a GE prime mover fails each train would have at least 2 sources for HEP.
  by CSRR573

So im not sure if this has been brought up on here or other threads but the unibody of these units are rotted enough that fuel(which is stored in the unibody of the unit) will spill out by the couplers and Mu hoses now