Railroad Forums 

• Green Line Type 9 Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1535030  by ceo

It's a handsome vehicle (sure is better looking than those Type 7 hideosities), but the headlights look like two Mickey Mouse heads. And now you can't unsee that either. :-)
 #1535853  by TurningOfTheWheel

I would anticipate we get something similar to those Type 9 concept drawings -- ie. standard, off-the-shelf LRVs -- when the Type 10s roll out. The Type 9s are basically a stopgap optimized Type 8.
 #1535879  by diburning

Here's a video by Tim Murphy (an MBTA inspector) showing the underside of a Type 9 (camera is in the gauge). I find it interesting how they were able to fit a "real" truck under the center section unlike the spring loaded stub axles on a Type 8.

https://www.facebook.com/TiminMurphy/vi ... 415820991/

The video is public, you do not need a facebook account to view it.
 #1536282  by Rbts Stn

bostontrainguy wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:39 pm Doesn't look at all like the original drawings they put out.

newgreenline.jpg
Just can't place that trackage . . .
 #1536292  by bostontrainguy

That's on the new Memorial Drive transitway.
Last edited by CRail on Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary nesting quotes removed. Do not use the "quote" button as a reply button.
 #1536845  by Rbts Stn

bostontrainguy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:58 am That's on the new Memorial Drive transitway.
Ahhh. Leave town for a week and miss out on all the great new trackage plans!
 #1536980  by BandA

diburning wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:27 am Here's a video by Tim Murphy (an MBTA inspector) showing the underside of a Type 9 (camera is in the gauge). I find it interesting how they were able to fit a "real" truck under the center section unlike the spring loaded stub axles on a Type 8.

https://www.facebook.com/TiminMurphy/vi ... 415820991/

The video is public, you do not need a facebook account to view it.
It's more rumbly than I expected, and seeing exposed gears was a surprise.
 #1536989  by bostontrainguy

That's a lot faster speed than they used to allow for crossover procedures (maybe 10 mph limit). I guess they have greatly improved the trackage. Also note the "frogless switch" or "lift turnout" frog.
 #1537812  by Disney Guy

I could not see from the video but do Type 9s have real wheelsets (solid wheel-axle-wheel) in the center section? I take it that it would require smaller diameter wheels and/or a slope up in the interior floor going through the center section.

Not counting rotation in unison of opposite wheels, is there a mechanical difference between spring loaded single wheels under the center section and a truck side frame attached by springs but otherwise rigidly to the car underbody (the latter typical of an old fashioned single truck streetcar)?
 #1537946  by diburning

I had assumed that they had full wheelsets (wheel-axle-wheel) under the center section, but after rewatching the video, I can tell that they are stub axles attached to a rigid low profile truck. I don't know how this compares to the setup on a Type 8 though, as I've never seen the underside of the center section of a Type 8.

I don't have an answer for your second question.