Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1534244  by Greg Moore

Sure, but you could probably count the number of people on one hand that have ever said, "I want to go to Plasttsburg in the winter!"

Not worth the cost of the fuel.
 #1534251  by Backshophoss

While CP might be less hamstrung by the blockades,they do not play nice with VIA.
Also CP has no clear shot into Montreal Central station,from the border with the US.
 #1534254  by Dick H

It is not only Plattsburg that is being denied service. There are seven other stations in NY between Albany and Rouses Point.
The Anniversary cabbage #406 seems to have been assigned to Downeaster service for the last several months. That could be
reassigned to the Adirondack service.
 #1534259  by Railjunkie

The idea was floated in Albany but denied as for CP Ive been told there is a 20 ft pile of snow at the Sealand bridge PLUS CP is pretty much shut down in eastern Ont. There are cars about 800 or so that need to go north plus roughly 1000 that need to come south. Nothing moves until the first peoples tribes clear the tracks.
 #1565917  by NaugyRR

Upgrades for the Empire Corridor are announced. I'm pretty happy to see RHI getting some love, it'll be interesting to see how it comes out.

https://www.timesunion.com/business/art ... 024919.php

Fair Use:
...The Ethan Allen Express between New York City and Rutland via Albany will be extended to Middlebury and Burlington, Vt., in early 2022...
...A new high-level platform, accessible bathrooms, repairs to the station and upgrades to the ticket counter, and two new elevators are among the improvements planned at the Rhinecliff rail station...
...The ticket counter at the Rensselaer station will be relocated and work to improve the traffic flow to the Rensselaer boarding platforms also is planned...
 #1566002  by Railjunkie

That's all well and good. But if the motive power isn't replaced soon there won't be a train to get to the Rhinecliffe station. Stuff is held together with bubble gum, duct tape and bailing wire. I get faults now Ive never seen before in my close to 20 yrs of running these things.
 #1566010  by NaugyRR

You mean that fancy new Phase III paint didn't actually overhaul anything mechanical? Haha
 #1566032  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:02 am That's all well and good. But if the motive power isn't replaced soon there won't be a train to get to the Rhinecliffe station. Stuff is held together with bubble gum, duct tape and bailing wire. I get faults now Ive never seen before in my close to 20 yrs of running these things.
And it's probably lubed with WD-40, right? :grinning:

But I'm with you. 20 years? Needs an overhaul (again).
 #1566106  by njtmnrrbuff

It’s about time that the improvements Rhinecliff Station is in the works. A high level platform is very essential there to make the boarding and detraining process easier while reducing dwell times. I can only imagine in better times when several people would get on and off of trains there. I have ridden though there on trains many times and saw healthy loads of passengers using that station. It great for people who live Dutchess County in Rhinebeck and even closer to Wassaic(I’m sure that those people living around there who are upset about not having their weekend service on the Upper Harlem Line have another alternative). Rhinecliff is good for those people who live in Kingston and between there and the entrance to the Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge.
 #1566116  by StLouSteve

That Albany Times Union article above also speculates that NY/Amtrak will likely add on to a recent MTA Order for new dual mode locos. Hope so, reliability is important. It also talks about the need to replace the old Amfleet coaches--perhaps NY will check out the new Siemens cars going into service in the Midwest.
The article also notes the complete lack of progress on the efforts to gain additional speed from Albany to Buffalo.
 #1566135  by Railjunkie

From what Ive heard the chances of Amtrak/NYS adding onto MTA's order is slim to none. Their dual modes are in worse shape than ours if one can believe that. I have about 7 to go before I can retire and there is a slight chance I will see the following

New motive power and coaches
The replacement of LAB bridge
Higher speeds on the Amtrak owned portion of the Hudson Line, for all you dreamers forget MNRR they keep dropping the speeds. Track is getting bad, need a helmet and a kidney belt.
As whacky as this sounds I think LAB will be the first thing I see