Railroad Forums 

• "Slider" Survivors? (Binghamton NY—Comet Is)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#419412  by henry6

Cars were stored at Susquehanna, PA for a long time before being moved to Binghamton a couple of months before their departure west to Utah.

#419438  by Tri-State Tom

Am I the only one getting a 'Forbidden - Adult Content' message when attempting to access Wanderer's links ?

#419460  by geoffand

I can access the photos fine. Perhaps a setting on your browser? If you have multiple browsers on your machine try opening it in a different browser.

#419527  by sixty-six

Links work fine for me.

#419561  by Idiot Railfan

Irish Chieftain wrote:Comet Is passed through Woodbine, Iowa last Sunday. (Not my photo; caught by a fellow I know from the chatrooms I frequent.)
What's cool about that photo is that in thirty-plus years of railfanning and twenty years of commuting on the Hoboken Division, I'm sure I've ridden in every one of those cars at least once.

#419723  by ANDY117

It was an empty gon on the rear that the NYSW had stored up on the end of the old Syracuse main with a few others. CP sent a couple guys back to make sure it seperated before they kept moving out of the storage siding.

They actually derailed a few of them out at Susquehanna PA last year. One is still out there, because it just wasn't recoverable apparently. That's why osme of them have damage like busted windows, dorrs that are now welded shut, etc.

And if you think the single Dash 9 was impressive, CP pulled them out to Buffalo with a single SD40-2.

Now that that's gone, NYSW has begun to store cars where the NJT cars were.

(And FYI- I watched it depart Binghamton, and got a few shots)

#419884  by ryanov

Tri-State Tom wrote:Am I the only one getting a 'Forbidden - Adult Content' message when attempting to access Wanderer's links ?
You were probably reading them at work. If I recall correctly, you've had trouble with stuff like that in the past (maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else though).
 #421781  by henry6

For cars still BO'd at Susquehanna: 1752, 1739,1747,1703. Good for scratch, dent, and banged up sale but not for use.

#426659  by ErieLimited2914

There are actually about fourteen of them operating in excursion service for the Morristown & Erie. Three of them have been painted EL gold and maroon, with the EL diamond on one end and the M&E diamond on the other, plus a maroon window band with gold outlining.

#426886  by nick11a

And there are still some in Hoboken.

#426891  by blockline4180

ErieNJTman5950 wrote:There are actually about fourteen of them operating in excursion service for the Morristown & Erie. Three of them have been painted EL gold and maroon, with the EL diamond on one end and the M&E diamond on the other, plus a maroon window band with gold outlining.
Okay, to clarify a bit: the three that have the maroon band are actually owned by the Whippany Railway Museum and are used for Santa Claus and Easter Bunny trips. The other cars that are owned by M&E have not been used in excursion service yet and most still have the black window band with NJT stripes. I wish I knew what M&E had planned for them as they have been sitting idle for over a year!

#427775  by NJT Rider

blockline4180 wrote:the three that have the maroon band are actually owned by the Whippany Railway Museum and are used for Santa Claus and Easter Bunny trips. The other cars that are owned by M&E have not been used in excursion service yet and most still have the black window band with NJT stripes
Just curious: where are they being stored?

Re:

#1534032  by sullivan1985

Irish Chieftain wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:23 pm Comet Is passed through Woodbine, Iowa last Sunday. (Not my photo; caught by a fellow I know from the chatrooms I frequent.)
Taking a chance here that Irish is still an active member or if someone saved the UP photo that was linked in this post from Woodbine, Iowa.

It would have been a solo UP leader with nearly 30 ex-NJT Comet Is headed for Utah.
 #1534067  by sullivan1985

Backshophoss wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:53 am The link maybe DEAD,it timed out,claiming the Cox IP didn't respond.
You would be correct. I'm hoping one of the members that were regular here when that link was posted may have saved it.

Taking a chance as that was 12 years ago.