• Trump proposes funding cuts

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by exvalley

Too many people clutching their pearls here. We all know that Congress will not go along with this aspect of Trump’s proposed budget and that Trump will eventually sign a budget that includes funding for Amtrak.
  by Hux

TomNelligan wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:17 pm Maybe Amtrak could mount guns on its locomotives and qualify for a share of Trump's military budget...
And camo paint scheme. MREs in the cafe car.
  by NH2060

eolesen wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:20 amThe bigger question should be what did Amtrak ask for? If Amtrak's doing better at farebox recovery, they shouldn't need as much of an appropriation.
This was my thought too. Was this a “cut” or “reduced subsidy in accordance with what is needed”? If it’s the latter I would think that’s a good thing. Helps to give Amtrak a more positive standing going forward. Hard to dislike it as much of its not “wasting” as much $$$.
  by David Benton

Though you would hope their improved farebox recovery would be rewarded with that money been put towards capital projects.
  by eolesen

David Benton wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:10 pm Though you would hope their improved farebox recovery would be rewarded with that money been put towards capital projects.
I'm guessing some of the infrastructure programs at a higher level with DOT will still benefit Amtrak, e.g. Portal Bridge and possibly Gateway, which should help reduce capital project spending, as does increased purchasing of rolling stock and locomotives by states like NC, CA, IL and others in the Midwest Consortium.
  by rcthompson04

eolesen wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:44 am
David Benton wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:10 pm Though you would hope their improved farebox recovery would be rewarded with that money been put towards capital projects.
I'm guessing some of the infrastructure programs at a higher level with DOT will still benefit Amtrak, e.g. Portal Bridge and possibly Gateway, which should help reduce capital project spending, as does increased purchasing of rolling stock and locomotives by states like NC, CA, IL and others in the Midwest Consortium.
The goal should be zero operating subsidy and increased capital expenditures in the general transportation budget.
  by GWoodle

TomNelligan wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:17 pm Maybe Amtrak could mount guns on its locomotives and qualify for a share of Trump's military budget...
Bring back the Troop Train. Add some coaches or another section to the freight military equipment moves. Maybe some civilians would ride with the troops on a "Fort Campbell Express" train to Clarkesville.