Railroad Forums 

• Oswego Rail Museum

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1529822  by Fireman43

What is the status of this museum? Did they ever find a new home?

Mark
 #1531951  by Fireman43

Otto - tried to respond to your recent post on RR museums. but I see the thread is locked. You have listed the Oswego Museum but your link brings up a site written in I'm thinking. Turkish !!!!!!!! Ha ha .

I still think the museum never found a new home in the US ?

Mark
 #1532096  by pumpers

Fireman43 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:53 pm Otto - tried to respond to your recent post on RR museums. but I see the thread is locked. You have listed the Oswego Museum but your link brings up a site written in I'm thinking. Turkish !!!!!!!! Ha ha .
Mark
I cut and pasted some of the text into Google Translate. And the answer is: Indonesian. Who would have guessed?
 #1532098  by Fireman43

i wouldn’t have ......

Until I look at a map I’d say I wasn’t even close .
 #1533016  by Izzy0575

Good day gents...I'm the president of the Oswego valley railroad association who ran the Oswego railroad museum. When we couldn't find a new home it was decided that we were going to disband the museum and stick with our original roots which is model railroading. It was a fun few years but in reality it was getting to be too much and it was over coming our model train club. At this time we as a train club we are located in the new haven American legion east of Oswego on route 104. There were installing new bathrooms and heat. We will then set up our modular layout to run on as well as set up displays. It's taking some time. We are also having a model train show in April on the 18th and 19th at the Fulton war memorial in Fulton NY. We are also having our usual show in November as well. We are looking for vendors for our show. We are on Facebook under Oswego valley railroad association inc. It is a "LIKE" page. We do all of our status and such there. If anyone has questions feel free to contact me or email 315-532-8691 or [email protected]. thanks izzy Vosseller/president/Oswego valley railroad association inc.
 #1533064  by Fireman43

Izzy, Thank you for the update.

What started my initial query was searching for the history of the New York State Grain Elevator previously located at the end of the Port of Oswego west side pier adjacent to the Maritime Museum. It appears your museum would have been located near here?
I had worked for Genesee Brewing who utilized the elevator for storage of barley up until the late '80's, then reading I see the massive structure was torn down in the late 90's. I remember the structural iron had Bethlehem Steel Buffalo stamped on it.

Back to my interest - I remember there were still rails embedded in the pavement on the west side in the loading shed used ( as I have learned) by the DL & W
http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/yasins ... grain.html

( a lot of nice pics online but I've given up on trying to go through the steps to cut and post pics on the site) Looking on sat views,I can not figure out where the ROW would have gone SB from this location - may have actually gone close to your museums previous location on 58th W. 1st street?

I can find maps of the ports east side but not the west side.

thanks for any help.

Mark