Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1531705  by Railjunkie

A few things fresh from the rumorama, first there not due to start testing until March.and here is the biggie, they dont play nice with standard equipment. The nose of the Avelia would be in the vestibule of the view liner if one was able to make the hook. Havent seen anything through Albany nor heard of any special moves coming up.
 #1531714  by mcgrath618

Railjunkie wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:21 am A few things fresh from the rumorama, first there not due to start testing until March.and here is the biggie, they dont play nice with standard equipment. The nose of the Avelia would be in the vestibule of the view liner if one was able to make the hook. Havent seen anything through Albany nor heard of any special moves coming up.
Looks like this was totally unfounded, considering the video that was just posted.
 #1531777  by Railjunkie

mcgrath618 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:44 pm
Railjunkie wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:21 am A few things fresh from the rumorama, first there not due to start testing until March.and here is the biggie, they dont play nice with standard equipment. The nose of the Avelia would be in the vestibule of the view liner if one was able to make the hook. Havent seen anything through Albany nor heard of any special moves coming up.
Looks like this was totally unfounded, considering the video that was just posted.
Ahh yes it could be lets look at the video, the switcher that is on the tail end has no vestibule just a knuckle. A viewliner or coach knuckle sits partially under the vestibule hence the nose may not be able to make a proper hook. No rescue or tow with cars between it and the engine. Plus the video shows a slow speed test at the plant nothing else. We will see what happens when the time comes to move it. Like I said previously havent heard of any special move to Hornell to pick this up. Ill check tonight when I get to work.
 #1531778  by mcgrath618

frequentflyer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:06 pm
Matt Johnson wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:44 pm https://media.amtrak.com/media-images/n ... -the-move/
Thank you, don't get the livery design, not feeling, though I am sure we will get use to it. The livery looks very European to me (Yes, I know, a European designed train)
My biggest issue is that the carbody of the power car DOESN'T match up with the geometry of the carbodies of the passenger cars.
 #1531799  by mcgrath618

ExCon90 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:17 pm
mcgrath618 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:39 am My biggest issue is that the carbody of the power car DOESN'T match up with the geometry of the carbodies of the passenger cars.
Doesn't it seem that that might raise some air-resistance (as well as aesthetic) issues?
Oh absolutely. If that's truly the final product, that is an abhorrent oversight.
 #1531804  by Matt Johnson

mcgrath618 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:45 pm
mcgrath618 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:39 am My biggest issue is that the carbody of the power car DOESN'T match up with the geometry of the carbodies of the passenger cars.
Doesn't it seem that that might raise some air-resistance (as well as aesthetic) issues?
Oh absolutely. If that's truly the final product, that is an abhorrent oversight.
I'm curious to see if the cladding depicted in the CAD rendering gets added or not. It's notably absent from the scale model.
Attachments:
modelavelia.jpg
modelavelia.jpg (256.67 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
shroud.jpg
shroud.jpg (196.85 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
 #1531816  by frequentflyer

mcgrath618 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:45 pm
Not an oversight, just smart planning. Its a tried and true TGV power cars with Pendolino tilt cars. Its a MUTT, but a mutt that works. Does the power car look familiar?

https://www.alstom.com/press-releases-n ... eed-trains