Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1531118  by ExCon90

jlichyen wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:46 am What would help a ton is if business class had assigned seating like an airplane, and business/coach class cars had markings on the platform for where to line up, so you could just walk out to the platform area near your car/section. It would help a ton with managing crowds and not only for Empire Service (NEC would benefit as well!)
The PRR did it for years by having numbered locations along the platform (i.e., just as is done with capital letters all over Europe) and announcing which cars would stop at each location. Of course that would require admitting passengers to the platform before the train's arrival, and how do we know that would work? :wink:
 #1531149  by njtmnrrbuff

It would be great if the State ever lets Amtrak erect high level platforms at Hudson to have either a center island or two side platforms so that way, two trains can serve the station at the same time. Yes, Hudson is on a slight curve but that doesn't mean anything in terms of not constructing them.
 #1531160  by Roadgeek Adam

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:10 pm It would be great if the State ever lets Amtrak erect high level platforms at Hudson to have either a center island or two side platforms so that way, two trains can serve the station at the same time. Yes, Hudson is on a slight curve but that doesn't mean anything in terms of not constructing them.
The curve at Hudson is less my concern over location and more space and construction room. Same applies but worse to Kingston-Rhinecliff.
 #1531177  by njtmnrrbuff

Whoops, I should have changed the wording in my last sentence. There is tons of space for construction there. At HUD, there is a third track, but the one closest to the station building isn’t active. If a center island high level platform were to ever be built at HUD, then probably that inactive track would probably have to be restored again to make way for any constructive. The platform would have to be wide in order.
 #1531385  by Railjunkie

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:16 am Whoops, I should have changed the wording in my last sentence. There is tons of space for construction there. At HUD, there is a third track, but the one closest to the station building isn’t active. If a center island high level platform were to ever be built at HUD, then probably that inactive track would probably have to be restored again to make way for any constructive. The platform would have to be wide in order.
Would one like to wager on that claim, of the track closest to the station not being active. Unless Amtrak has pulled the hand thrown from the north end under the bridge its still used. It was still there on my last trip to keep my qualifications up 3 months ago. Granted CSX doesn't switch as much grain as they once did, its the easy way out to go north with empties and into the yard with loads. Otherwise one would have to back through the other hand thrown at the south end. But then again its CSX why do anything easy
 #1532071  by Jeff Smith

SRich wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:33 pm
Backshophoss wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 am Will everybody stop thinking "wire" is the cure,IT'S NOT!!! NOT on the only freight routing into NY City,NOT cost effective.
Amtrak leases from CP 75 to Albany from CSX as it is now..
Why not, wire can be high enough to accomodate Double stack freight and electric trains. Amtrak already leased CP 75 to Albany, Why not buy it and the rest to the state line with NYSDOT.
MNRR Hudson Line Electrification and Empire Service Electrification

The short answer is it would be a huge cost to MNRR to change from third rail to catenary (fixed) below Croton Harmon. If MNRR doesn't do that, what sense does is make for Amtrak to only run catenary on their portions of the line? As for MNRR running M8's, that's a huge additional fleet cost.
 #1532116  by Railjunkie

Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:46 pm
Backshophoss wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 am Will everybody stop thinking "wire" is the cure,IT'S NOT!!! NOT on the only freight routing into NY City,NOT cost effective.
Why not, wire can be high enough to accomodate Double stack freight and electric trains. Amtrak already leased CP 75 to Albany, Why not buy it and the rest to the state line with NYSDOT.

The short answer is it would be a huge cost to MNRR to change from catenary to third rail below Croton Harmon. If MNRR doesn't do that, what sense does is make for Amtrak to only run catenary on their portions of the line? As for MNRR running M8's, that's a huge additional fleet cost.

Me thinks you have it backwards, its 3rd rail below Croton not catenary dont see MNRR making that switch.
 #1532135  by SRich

Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:46 pm

The short answer is it would be a huge cost to MNRR to change from third rail to catenary (fixed) below Croton Harmon. If MNRR doesn't do that, what sense does is make for Amtrak to only run catenary on their portions of the line? As for MNRR running M8's, that's a huge additional fleet cost.
If Amtrak use wire for the empire corridor for the part that they lease then MNRR can use is also for commuter trains to Albany. And MNRR (if they electrify the remaining diesel portions) skip the use of P32AC-DM and don't have to buy new one's and use only EMU's for passengers. Amtrak can use the P32AC-DM till they can buy an electric motor with overhead and third rail capability.
 #1532136  by Jeff Smith

SRich wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:36 am If Amtrak use wire for the empire corridor for the part that they lease then MNRR can use is also for commuter trains to Albany. And MNRR (if they electrify the remaining diesel portions) skip the use of P32AC-DM and don't have to buy new one's and use only EMU's for passengers. Amtrak can use the P32AC-DM till they can buy an electric motor with overhead and third rail capability.
Again, why would MNRR want to have to run M-8's on that portion? They do just fine with diesel. There's a huge additional cost with 8's in the way of acquisition and maintenance. The P32's are due for replacement, as are many of the push-pull coaches.

As noted above, there are two threads discussing electrification of the Hudson Line/Empire Service. Please use the appropriate threads noted for MNRR and Amtrak.
 #1533894  by NaugyRR

Looks like my local Amtrak station should be getting a little facelift. I came across a PoJo article today reporting on some proposed ADA repairs and parking lot repaving. I was there in the Fall and they had some potholes that were some serious killers.

Fair Use:
"Town Supervisor Elizabeth Spinzia said Amtrak has a multi-million dollar plan for renovations including bathroom upgrades, re-painting, new canopies, new sidewalks, new lighting, re-paving the parking lot,replacing signage, new interior and exterior lighting, repairs to rusting and decaying staircases and general ADA-focused improvements."
https://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/sto ... 765356002/
 #1533967  by Railjunkie

Due to the shutting down of CN/VIA if one holds tickets on train 69 in the near future it would be advisable to check before you go. AMT68(16) will be the last Adirondak train into or out of Montreal until further notice.
 #1534001  by Backshophoss

A quick scan of the Service alerts doesn't show any cancelations at this point of time.
Word is out that the Cascades are also effected by the Blockades,CN shutdown and VIA lockout by CN.
 #1534007  by east point

you did not look hard enough

@AmtrakAlerts
·
6h

Due to ongoing operational issues on the host railroad, Adirondack Trains 69, 68 will terminate/ originate in Albany (ALB)/ Plattsburgh (PLB) respectively. Alternate transportation for Train 68 Montreal (MTR) to PLB, not stopping at St. Lambert (SLQ). No alternate for Train 69.

@AmtrakAlerts
·
6h

Due to ongoing operational issues on the host railroad, Adirondack Trains 69, 68 will terminate/ originate in Albany (ALB)/ Plattsburgh (PLB) respectively. Alternate transportation for Train 68 Montreal (MTR) to PLB, not stopping at St. Lambert (SLQ). No alternate for Train 69.
 #1534097  by Railjunkie

As of today 69 will terminate in Albany and 68 will start out of Albany until further notice, no alternate transportation available. aka the Canadian Govt fixes the issues with the indigenous peoples