Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak NEC Virginia Regional Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1528867  by Station Aficionado

ryanch wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:02 pm The Post says some changes could start as soon as the deal is finalized next summer. Any idea what would happen first, and what it would be contingent on, other than actually signing the deal and pushing the money across the table?
The Richmond Times Dispatch story on the deal has a couple of charts attached (sorry, can’t do a link from my phone) and they indicate one new Amtrak frequency in 2020 (a third Norfolk train) and two new VRE frequencies (one each on the Manassas and Fredericksburg lines).
 #1528882  by mtuandrew

I would love to know where they intend to put said passenger train flyover between Franconia and Springfield. That stretch is already a 1% grade (I think) and a flyover approach realistically can’t start until after Van Dorn Street.
 #1528891  by Station Aficionado

mtuandrew wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:25 pm I would love to know where they intend to put said passenger train flyover between Franconia and Springfield. That stretch is already a 1% grade (I think) and a flyover approach realistically can’t start until after Van Dorn Street.
I think some of the stories are confused or poorly written. VRE’s website has had a plan for FS on it’s website for a while. Per that plan, the third track (the one furthest east) would be extended through the station on the east side of the current main platform. This would entail building up the ROW, and turning the current platform from a side platform to an island platform. Not sure, but would guess that work was mistranslated as “flyover” or “bypass” (the other term I’ve seen in news reports.
 #1528898  by mtuandrew

Station Aficionado wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:48 pmI think some of the stories are confused or poorly written. VRE’s website has had a plan for FS on it’s website for a while. Per that plan, the third track (the one furthest east) would be extended through the station on the east side of the current main platform. This would entail building up the ROW, and turning the current platform from a side platform to an island platform. Not sure, but would guess that work was mistranslated as “flyover” or “bypass” (the other term I’ve seen in news reports.
I’m guessing that wasn’t misinterpreted in the way we think. Right now, Virginia is paying for rights on the western side between DC and Alexandria, has already paid for a single third track on the eastern side between about Telegraph Road and Franconia-Springfield station, and has built VRE platforms consistently on the eastern side. The only barrier to Virginia having an exclusively-passenger line is the flat crossover at Telegraph Road between the west (north) passenger tracks exiting Alexandria, and the east (middle) passenger track between NS and CSX.

Makes me wonder whether the phrase should have been “flyover between Alexandria and Franconia-Springfield”, which seems like it would be built in the vicinity of (but across the railroad from) WMATA Alexandria Yard.
 #1528934  by ryanch

They don't mention passenger service on the Buckingham branch. They say the $3.7 billion is acquisition and improvements between Richmond and DC., so service to Raleigh isn't (yet) part of this.
 #1528946  by Bob Roberts

ryanch wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:25 am They don't mention passenger service on the Buckingham branch. They say the $3.7 billion is acquisition and improvements between Richmond and DC., so service to Raleigh isn't (yet) part of this.
NC needs to complete the purchase of its portion of the S-line and find the money for the necessary track rebuild. More trivially the S-Line will also require a new platform at Raleigh Union Station.
 #1528969  by mtuandrew

east point wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:21 am definitely poorly written. Try this link and maybe will clear up some confusion ?

http://www.drpt.virginia.gov/rail/trans ... -virginia/
Unfortunately it doesn’t fully clear things up, though it’s clearer that the construction will be a Franconia-Springfield bypass rather than a flyover between Franconia and Springfield. I don’t know what “Franconia-Springfield bypass” means in this context - a fourth track? A crossover and interlocking plant? A flyover? A new alignment entirely?
ryanch wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:25 am They don't mention passenger service on the Buckingham branch.
The link east point posted above discusses it a little, as a future “college corridor” passenger line. No mention of the Cardinal though, despite it using the line from Charlottesville to Clifton Forge. Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if One Mass is trying to shake down West Virginia for some Regional funding, and cancel the Card once and for all.
 #1528973  by east point

mtuandrew wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:58 pm

Unfortunately it doesn’t fully clear things up, though it’s clearer that the construction will be a Franconia-Springfield bypass rather than a flyover between Franconia and Springfield. I don’t know what “Franconia-Springfield bypass” means in this context - a fourth track? A crossover and interlocking plant? A flyover? A new alignment entirely?

The link east point posted above discusses it a little, as a future “college corridor” passenger line. No mention of the Cardinal though, despite it using the line from Charlottesville to Clifton Forge. Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if One Mass is trying to shake down West Virginia for some Regional funding, and cancel the Card once and for all.
Don't have time but the bypass mentioned is actually a flyover moving the passenger tracks on the west side that they will be from VA ave tunnel - L'Enfant, over new long bridge, past Aleksander station, then the flyover to east side of present tracks.?
 #1528974  by gokeefe

For those keeping score ... The RF&P Right of Way mileage is 112 ... The Northeast Corridor is currently 457 miles long BOS-WAS. This addition would increase the total mileage of the NEC by 24.5%.

If you include the abandoned (rail banked) S-Line then the total new Right of Way is 187 miles and the total percentage increase becomes 40.9%. At 644 miles once fully built that would make the Northeast Corridor the fourth longest high speed rail line in the world.

Pretty impressive addition.
 #1528979  by David Benton

I'm not sure what their criteria is for high speed rail, I am surprised the WCML in the UK made the list.
I doubt the NEC would qualify with the Metro North section. By the time this is built, China will have built another 10 lines.
But it is great news , especially the 2nd bridge and the Raleigh line
 #1528980  by gokeefe

This agreement is likely the most significant acquisition/partnership by Amtrak since 1973 when they acquired segments not of the NEC not owned by the states.
 #1528992  by ryanch

gokeefe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:03 pm For those keeping score ... The RF&P Right of Way mileage is 112 ... The Northeast Corridor is currently 457 miles long BOS-WAS. This addition would increase the total mileage of the NEC by 24.5%.

If you include the abandoned (rail banked) S-Line then the total new Right of Way is 187 miles and the total percentage increase becomes 40.9%. At 644 miles once fully built that would make the Northeast Corridor the fourth longest high speed rail line in the world.

Pretty impressive addition.
For me to consider the new trackage part of the NEC, it would have to be electrified. Is there any change of that in middle term? Or is that prohibitively expensive until you've got dozens of trains that would use it?

On the NEC, what trains use the catenary? Regionals do not, correct? Are some of the commuter trains electric? Or do all NEC trains use electric, but those trains that leave the NEC have to swap out locomotives?
 #1528994  by gokeefe

ryanch wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:52 pmFor me to consider the new trackage part of the NEC, it would have to be electrified.
Understood but the New Haven to Boston segment was always considered part of the NEC from "Day 1" even prior to electrification.

That project went in service a mere 20 years ago next month (January 31, 2000 being the anniversary).