Railroad Forums 

• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1527657  by trainspot

Seeing the 9009,9010 yesterday I’m wondering how they get back to Yonkers? Most logical is on Amtrak out of Penn, but it probably probably isn’t. Thanks!
 #1527663  by gregorygrice

trainspot wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:40 am Seeing the 9009,9010 yesterday I’m wondering how they get back to Yonkers? Most logical is on Amtrak out of Penn, but it probably probably isn’t. Thanks!
Trucked or CSX. Most likely trucked.
 #1527761  by freightguy

CSX local B750 had the newest pair 9047/48. Made it to CP 12( Spuyten Duyvil) on the Hudson Line. Ran around with GP38-2 2824 and proceeded to take the LIRR M9 pair back north towards Yonkers or Croton West which was certainly odd!
 #1527780  by gregorygrice

freightguy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:05 am CSX local B750 had the newest pair 9047/48. Made it to CP 12( Spuyten Duyvil) on the Hudson Line. Ran around with GP38-2 2824 and proceeded to take the LIRR M9 pair back north towards Yonkers or Croton West which was certainly odd!
Shoved to the Yonkers Plant. Many of the pairs are going there for mods before final delivery.
 #1528019  by freightguy

They actually dumped 9047/48 in Croton west and grabbed the Welded rail train for LIRR. Looks like they finally took those two for an arrival in Pond for LIRR on Fri 12/13/2019.
 #1528029  by gregorygrice

freightguy wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:05 am They actually dumped 9047/48 in Croton west and grabbed the Welded rail train for LIRR. Looks like they finally took those two for an arrival in Pond for LIRR on Fri 12/13/2019.
I misread what the op wrote. Makes sense.
 #1531606  by Head-end View

Today's Newsday had an article about a new public backlash re: the LED lighting in the M9's being too bright and glaring. I said to myself, just wait a few years 'til the lenses get dirty and then the lights won't seem as bright. LOL

Also said there are now three M9 trains in revenue service. Progress........
 #1531612  by gregorygrice

Head-end View wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:18 pm Today's Newsday had an article about a new public backlash re: the LED lighting in the M9's being too bright and glaring. I said to myself, just wait a few years 'til the lenses get dirty and then the lights won't seem as bright. LOL

People will find anything to complain about...
 #1531623  by BuddR32

Head-end View wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:18 pm Today's Newsday had an article about a new public backlash re: the LED lighting in the M9's being too bright and glaring. I said to myself, just wait a few years 'til the lenses get dirty and then the lights won't seem as bright. LOL

It is a bit of an eye opener (pun intended), I thought the same things when the M7s came into service. However, over time, fluorescent lamps lose output, especially in constant use like on the trains. On top of that, the acrylic lenses yellow a bit. You can tell which lamps were recently replaced as they're brighter than the rest.

I dont believe the M9 LED will loose output, we'll see about the lenses yellowing however.
 #1531745  by glugglug

The M9 lighting is insane. Being completely blinded for 45 minutes before exiting onto the narrow space between construction walls and the platform edge at Penn is a recipe for disaster. They should seriously do an experiment where the M9 has the lights turned off in half the cars. I guarantee that half is standing room only, with the other half nearly empty. The complaints about lack of WiFi are irrelevant when it's too damn glary to read a phone or laptop.

The new announcement voice is grating and can be heard in Ohio.
 #1531961  by Pensyfan19

glugglug wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:04 pm The new announcement voice is grating and can be heard in Ohio.
Is that a Frontier Metals Scrapping reference?!