Railroad Forums 

• CMQ for sale?

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1525727  by bostontrainguy

Yeah I thought Pan Am would benefit from the St. John intermodal expansion but now I think they are going to get hurt by this rather surprising development.

P.S. My only experiential ride in an actual section was on one of the last runs of the Atlantic Limited across Maine in 1981.
 #1525756  by Cowford

I understand that the citizens of Searsport are planning a parade to welcome CP to town. I can hear the chants of the crowd over the marching band: "What to we want?" "Heavy industrial port development!!!" "When do we want it?" "Now!!!"
 #1525800  by fromway

Just don't mention LNG in any conversation about Searsport. They will go crazy if it is mentioned.
 #1525822  by bostontrainguy

Cowford wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:20 pm I understand that the citizens of Searsport are planning a parade to welcome CP to town. I can hear the chants of the crowd over the marching band: "What to we want?" "Heavy industrial port development!!!" "When do we want it?" "Now!!!"
I am not sure how the people of Searsport actually feel about this but any such industrial development is usually met with strong opposition. I know the people of Maine are hurting for jobs so maybe this is going to be the exception. Let's hope so.
 #1525823  by gokeefe

My head is spinning at this development ... As best I can tell this is a surprise to everyone on the outside. Is that correct?
 #1525847  by RGlueck

I think CPR has enough clout to further develop ship to rail via the Searsport line. The rails are in good shape, the port is there with plenty of land to expand. I wouldn't rule anything out from CPR. Better get your CM&Q loco pictures now. I would expect to see the old BNSF/SF GE locos go to retirement pretty quickly. I would also look for the CPR to dispose of the F3A #503, stored at Derby.
Just my opinion.
 #1525854  by bostontrainguy

I was wondering if Searsport was a deep water port.

"Regular ports are by and large of recreational types where the water is not more than 20 feet deep, whereas deep water port is compatible with the large heavy loaded ships which may require the water to be 30 feet deep or even more."

Good info here:

http://www.worldportsource.com/ports/co ... t_1790.php
 #1525865  by MEC407

bostontrainguy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:43 pm I know the people of Maine are hurting for jobs...
The current unemployment rate in Maine is only 2.9% (the same as Massachusetts), below the national average. There are Help Wanted signs everywhere and not enough people to fill all the available positions.
 #1525880  by Ridgefielder

Got to say I'm astonished by this. Did not think the endgame would see the Moosehead back in the Canadian Pacific fold.
 #1525882  by bostontrainguy

MEC407 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:31 am The current unemployment rate in Maine is only 2.9% (the same as Massachusetts), below the national average. There are Help Wanted signs everywhere and not enough people to fill all the available positions.
I guess I've been reading too many stories about the dying paper industry :)
 #1525900  by bsweep

Consider this possibility. CP bought all of the DME only to sell off the west end to RCPE. The rumor I heard most was NBSR was going to get everything East of the border and/or Jackman depending on the day. I hope CP is serious about Searsport, but if CN also bid (as had been reported somewhere) CP may have bought more than they wanted just to prevent CN from a maritime monopoly. A subsequent transaction is not out of the question...
 #1525911  by fromway

bostontrainguy wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:08 pm I guess I've been reading too many stories about the dying paper industry :)
You have to be able to pass a drug test for most jobs and they are running out of people under 60.
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: excessive quoting
 #1525916  by QB 52.32

CN9634 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:36 am
Last item-- all the mill investment in Maine. Effectively you create a direct ST interchange at NMJ, instead of a ST-PAS routing. Now all the paper and pulp carloads can route around PAS, or CSX, or NS, to reach the midwest. Heck, you can see ST-CP-BNSF/UP routings come out of the woodwork and really put a beating on the PAS gateway traffic.
I'd be surprised to see a major shift in Maine's pulp, paper and forest products traffic routing and market share, particularly PAR originated or overhead traffic. In fact, they could stand to gain a little traffic if CP shows no interest in the short-haul Newport gateway for overhead or their own originated traffic. CP will hold the weaker position as an overhead carrier against PAR-originated traffic and/or NS or CSX-terminated traffic which represents a good portion of this market. In these cases, it's doubtful PAR will short-haul themselves to CP or that CSX or NS would allow themselves to be short-hauled with CP in the routing.
 #1525919  by CN9634

That's not what CP thinks. The CSX/NS stuff is the Jersey/PA business, but the breadbasket for print shops and merchants is really Midwest (Minnesota/Wisconsin, IL) which is where CP's advantage will flourish. Also, anything going transcon will be advantaged for sure. Inbound raws I'm sure will be a quick hit too with the purchasing power of the USD vs CAD.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... um-traffic
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting