Railroad Forums 

• DL & W Rail Trail update in Buffalo. The RIVERLINE

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1525586  by Fireman43

The Western New York Land Conservancy announced the nature trail and greenway will be called "The Riverline." Three sections of the trail also will have names: "the Del," "the Junctures" and "the Basswoods."
The DL&W corridor project – a 1.5-mile stretch of abandoned rail line from Canalside to the Buffalo River near the Tesla plant – now has a name.
The trail will extend through the Valley, Old First Ward and Perry neighborhoods.

The original full article was posted on the Buffalo News yesterday however unable to grab a link as " A nonsubscriber you've used up your free peeks". I suppose if you google 'The Riverline - Buffalo ' you can view the whole article ( or if you are a subscriber).
Also various news organizations have posed their news stories and videos online.

I presume will be a paved path for bikes?
Mark
 #1525590  by DGC-24711

https://buffalonews.com/2019/11/20/the- ... r-project/

For quick reference the place the top photo (looking SE across the partial bridge towards the Tesla Plant) in that Buffalo News Story was taken:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/South ... 78.8387042
 #1525695  by SST

Looks like they'll have the starting point across the street from the former Erie Freight house on Moore at Miami. Lets just hope they don't do something stupid like tear down the Erie for a parking lot! Isn't there a plaque there saying its the oldest building in Buffalo or something close to that?

The other question I have about this is whether they'll use pedestrian bridges across each street or will they make the trail descend down to each street, then cross the street and ascend back up on the other side. Each end of each section is pretty steep. If you think your gonna be able to take your grand parents up each section think again. If you build the trail to accommodate everybody's need [no ped bridge option], if will defeat the resurrection of the DL&W trail. Each section is fairly short so if you build the trail with a shallow grade, you won't have enough distance to ascend to the top and descend back down. If you want to accommodate everybody, pedestrian bridges are the only answer and will better mimic the DL&W row.

What I'm really looking forward to on this trail is when you get on the "double track" bridges at CP Draw. THAT alone will make it worth while to take the trail. The view in both directions will be pretty darn good.

One other concern: How many fisherman do you think will start to fish off the bridges once they are restored to usable condition?
Lets hope they get it right.
 #1525696  by Fireman43

Hmmmmmmm. Having moved to Buffalo after this line was removed , and not knowing its history , was this whole ROW from the river to the DLW terminal elevated?

When I moved to the area the Boroughs Yard on Childs Street as still active but I was unaware of the history of the nearby DLW - I never saw evidence of any elevated ROW as I drove daily thru the area as all the fill must have been removed.

What little did I know .
 #1525708  by dj_paige

SST wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:07 am What I'm really looking forward to on this trail is when you get on the "double track" bridges at CP Draw. THAT alone will make it worth while to take the trail. The view in both directions will be pretty darn good.
As I recall, I walked over part of that bridge expecting great views, only to discover that the metal sides of the bridge were so tall that I couldn't really see anything of the double track CSX main line. I am 5–9, so maybe if you are 6–9 you might get a good view, but most of us won't. (Now perhaps the new trail will raise the level of the paved path such that you do get to see over the bridge sides, but I'm guessing that's not particularly safe, and CSX might have some concerns about that)
 #1525765  by SST

dj_paige wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:54 am
SST wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:07 am What I'm really looking forward to on this trail is when you get on the "double track" bridges at CP Draw. THAT alone will make it worth while to take the trail. The view in both directions will be pretty darn good.
As I recall, I walked over part of that bridge expecting great views, only to discover that the metal sides of the bridge were so tall that I couldn't really see anything of the double track CSX main line. I am 5–9, so maybe if you are 6–9 you might get a good view, but most of us won't. (Now perhaps the new trail will raise the level of the paved path such that you do get to see over the bridge sides, but I'm guessing that's not particularly safe, and CSX might have some concerns about that)
Due to the quality of the area, I never walked the row and not on the bridges. How disappointing it will be if you can't look over the side. I guess it will be like the Ellicott Creek crossing up in Tonawanda. https://postimg.cc/CzyDTpWS
 #1525899  by SST

As I mentioned above, this is where the trail will likely begin [200 feet further down]. This is the freight house I also mentioned at Miami and Moore. I google mapped this photo and also tried to capture the plaque but I'll have to drive down and get a picture.

#1526009  by Fireman43

Ah just down the street from the long gone Harbor Inn.

The spot also has a Shoreline Trail information display.
I also need to get down to check this area out.
There has been such a major transformation of this area in recent years .
 #1526067  by SST

Fireman43 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:01 pm Ah just down the street from the long gone Harbor Inn.

The spot also has a Shoreline Trail information display.
I also need to get down to check this area out.
There has been such a major transformation of this area in recent years .
It is a real shame that the Harbor Inn was torn down. If the owner had waited maybe 2 more years it likely would be doing well.

When you come to visit Buffalo, make sure you stop at the River Fest Park which is where the picture above was taken. Lots of plaques in and around the park. Some great pictures of the giant warehouse that existed in that spot. If you come during the summertime, make it Wednesday night. Free concerts.