• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by b&m 1566

I see no trains are scheduled for today, does anyone know why?
  by b&m 1566

Has 7470, been use for the Santa trains or just the Journey to the North Pole?
  by trainern8

7470 has only been on the Journey to the North Pole, but it is pulling all Journey to the North Pole trips this year which is a nice touch.
  by Dick H

Weather Forecast for Steam in the Snow, this Saturday 1/4.

Mostly cloudy with periods of snow during the afternoon. High near 40F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 70%. Snow accumulations less than one inch
  by NHV 669

It was more like train in the rain. I laugh now, as the snow is coming down at a good clip here in Bethlehem as I type. They passed Fourth Iron just past 1300; but came to a stop on the bridge, because several folks to my right felt the "need" to set up a few feet from the rails. Their response to the crew waving them back was to shout back that they "weren't on the tracks"; you can't fix stupid. It sounds like they did several runbys at Notchland prior to returning east. There was quite a mob out there chasing today.
  by b&m 1566

Have previous "Steam In the Snow" excursions, been limited because of water? I was a bit surprised to see the tanker apart of the train this time around.
  by NHV 669

I believe they've had the water tanker on there for every run since 7470's return. Sure beats having to have a pumper truck on standby somewhere along the line. Although I do recall seeing Conway Scenic's truck following along on at least one of the notch/Hazens runs last year.
  by BandA

Doesn't the tank car have problems if the temperature is below freezing?

How did they supply 7470 in the 70s-80s-90s?
  by ericofmaine

70’s to the 90’s they only went to Conway and back. They didn’t have the trackage to Bartlett or the Notch until the mid ‘ late 90’s.

Eric
  by b&m 1566

They didn't start using the tank, till this past year. I'm going to take a guess and say it will be with the 7470 every time it goes west of Bartlett from now on.
Didn't the tank car originally hold oil for engine #108?
  by Pat Fahey

Hi Dick
Any idea how much damage to the building? but also the most important thing no one got hurt. Pat
  by backroadrails

One of the articles listed it as "major" damage to the building. Also of note 573 ran to Attitash to clear the line a few days ago, and MOW crews changed out a rail by the bridge at Glen earlier in the week. I am not sure what they are planning on doing, but Conway hinted at winter ops on their Instagram page this week.