Railroad Forums 

• All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1520829  by rcthompson04

daybeers wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:38 pm Oo I like that idea! Harrisburg definitely needs baggage service. What others along the Keystone would be beneficial?
Lancaster sticks out for me as I have seen people lugging a lot of luggage off there the half of dozen times I have taken trains there.
 #1522615  by daybeers

Amtrak Media posted this article yesterday about checked baggage and bicycle service on the Pennsylvanian. A fair use quote:
...The stations that now offer these amenities include New York (NYP), Newark (NWK), Philadelphia (PHL), Lancaster (LNC), Harrisburg (HAR), Altoona (ALT), Johnstown (JST) and Pittsburgh (PGH). The fee for checked bicycle service is $20 and Amtrak reservation and baggage policies apply.
“Expanding multimodal transportation options doesn’t end at the train station,” said PennDOT Deputy Secretary for Multimodal Transportation Jennie Granger. “The expanded checked bicycle service will allow travelers from across the country to explore Pennsylvania’s outstanding recreational opportunities with day trips to historic communities or longer bikepacking adventures to the many state and local parks, lakes and forests along the Pennsylvania’s BicyclePA Routes and state trails.”

Additionally, for customers who are connecting in Pittsburgh via the Capitol Limited (operating daily between Washington, D.C., Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Chicago) bikes and bags will be transferred through to the final destination.

Customers checking their bikes (no box required) must arrive at the station 45 minutes prior to the train departure to allow time to purchase a ticket and obtain a baggage tag and transport the bike to the baggage car. Only standard bikes will be permitted. If equipped with large seat/saddle bags, handlebar bags or panniers, the items must be removed from the bike, consolidated, and checked or carried on the train. Customers can reserve their bikes by selecting “add bike” when they book their train travel on Amtrak.com, by calling 800-USA-RAIL or by visiting any staffed ticket office. Reserve early; limited space is available.
 #1522775  by Greg Moore

And in fact yesterday, while sitting in NYP waiting for my train to Wilmington, I heard an announcement about lat call for baggage for the Pennsylvanian.
 #1524685  by STrRedWolf

Derailment yesterday around Greensburg (a friend there let me know):

https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland ... -reported/

Pennsy 43 terminated in Altoona and turned back to shore up in Harrisburg. 42 will start there this morning. No alternate service provided (outside existing Thruway bus service).
 #1524691  by ohioriverrailway

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:29 am Derailment yesterday around Greensburg (a friend there let me know):

https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland ... -reported/

Pennsy 43 terminated in Altoona and turned back to shore up in Harrisburg. 42 will start there this morning. No alternate service provided (outside existing Thruway bus service).
Amtrak refers to that as a disabled freight train. Masters of understatement there!!
It's unfortunate that they couldn't have used Altoona as the western terminus and bus=bridged between there and Pittsburgh. Wonder what folks who were planning the 30 to 42 connection did?
 #1524692  by STrRedWolf

ohioriverrailway wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:44 am Amtrak refers to that as a disabled freight train. Masters of understatement there!!
It's unfortunate that they couldn't have used Altoona as the western terminus and bus=bridged between there and Pittsburgh. Wonder what folks who were planning the 30 to 42 connection did?
Two options: Transfer to a later Greyhound run Throughway bus to Harrisburg and pick up a Keystone there, or stay on the 30 and transfer to the NEC trains in Washington.
 #1524706  by mtuandrew

Amtrak really does have an obligation to help its passengers who are stranded, specifically renting vans and buses to bring them to their destination, and I hope they did. It has less of an obligation to transport passengers who haven’t boarded yet, which is what I think they mean by “no alternate service provided.”
 #1524766  by ThirdRail7

mtuandrew wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:35 pm Amtrak really does have an obligation to help its passengers who are stranded, specifically renting vans and buses to bring them to their destination, and I hope they did. It has less of an obligation to transport passengers who haven’t boarded yet, which is what I think they mean by “no alternate service provided.”
They actually ran buses to discharge passengers from PGH-HAR. They did not accept local travel.
 #1524776  by STrRedWolf

ThirdRail7 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:30 am They actually ran buses to discharge passengers from PGH-HAR. They did not accept local travel.
So express service only. Everything else got moved to the Thruway service?
 #1524779  by ThirdRail7

They stopped to discharge passengers between PGH-HAR. If you boarded at PGH and you going to ALT, they stopped to discharge you. If you were going TYR to HUN, no alternate transportation was provided.
 #1524786  by STrRedWolf

ThirdRail7 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:33 am They stopped to discharge passengers between PGH-HAR. If you boarded at PGH and you going to ALT, they stopped to discharge you. If you were going TYR to HUN, no alternate transportation was provided.
I think "alternate transportation" here would be defined as "beyond any Thruway bus connections." (page 2 on the Pennsy timetable) Tyrone to Greensburg would be a ticket swap. But then, if you're at Huntington, you're screwed (no connection there).
 #1526417  by twropr

It appears that trains 42 and 43 have not been running an extra coach over the Thanksgiving holiday (they always had over the past previous years).
Has anyone seen these trains on Wed. to verify that they are only seven cars (one baggage and six passenger cars)?
Andy
 #1526440  by rcthompson04

STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:15 am I haven't seen it, but considering the amount of mechanical problems that Amtrak had over the past few days, I won't be surprised if they stole a car from the Pennsy to handle the NEC traffic.
It was running eastbound past Bryn Mawr on Wednesday afternoon with the standard consist.
 #1526447  by ThirdRail7

twropr wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:43 am It appears that trains 42 and 43 have not been running an extra coach over the Thanksgiving holiday (they always had over the past previous years).
Has anyone seen these trains on Wed. to verify that they are only seven cars (one baggage and six passenger cars)?
Andy

I've seen a few Pennsylvanians this week they had extra cars. I'm not sure why you think it didn't. It has run with an extra coach since 43(26).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43zkb-HNVEA

Things of interest include the mammoth 133, the biggest train of the program. Hot in its heels is late 171 (which is actually scheduled ahead of 133), sporting the Coke unit 606.

Between them is the Veteran's unit 642, heading towards NYP. makes

Next, you have late 20, with a new bag dorm.

Next up is 1193, sporting the David Gunn unit 600.

You'll see train 647 pushing towards PHL/HAR in addition to 649 pulling towards PHL as it stops at CWH.

Between 647 and 649, heading east as it passes a Septa train in CWH is train 42(27). Everyone count the cars as it whizzes and no, they didn't add anything at PHL.