Railroad Forums 

• North Brunswick Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1259909  by TAMR213

ApproachMedium wrote:Good luck with Deer Brook village, I know someone else who lives there and his home is going to be removed as part of the loop project so I doubt they are going to build a sound wall knowing that the landscape will be changed in order to accommodate this new NJT project.
Interesting. I have a relative that also lives in Deer Brook, and I would be interested in any info you could provide. I figured something would have to be done to accommodate the loop given how "tight" development is to the east side of the tracks, but was unaware that plans were actually already in place. Both he and I are not of the opinion of the Deer Brook resident in this thread, but rather of the prevailing opinion that "the railroad was there first".
25Hz wrote:Are you referring to the housing complex bottom left center??

http://prntscr.com/348gbe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, Deer Brook Village is the Trailer Park further south at the corner of Finnegans Lane and Route 130.
 #1259933  by ApproachMedium

25Hz wrote:Are you referring to the housing complex bottom left center??

http://prntscr.com/348gbe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing in this image is part of deer brook village, its the trailer park south of that. It could possibly be part of it also, but not sure. I wasnt given much detail on it but parts of the complex must go.
 #1260192  by 25Hz

So, the top is adams MOW facility, the middle is the previously highlighted area, and the bottom is the only modular housing i could find in the area.

http://prntscr.com/34kg6m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a personal side note....... I live next to a main road, and i would NEVER want ANY kind of sound wall put there. You should know what you're buying before you sign the paperwork. Developers should also be required to establish a PLANTED noise barrier, and restricted from having property lines/back yards etc be too close to roads, not just for noise if thats your concern, but also for safety.... no one wants a UPS truck in their living room.
 #1260388  by ApproachMedium

25Hz wrote:So, the top is adams MOW facility, the middle is the previously highlighted area, and the bottom is the only modular housing i could find in the area.

http://prntscr.com/34kg6m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a personal side note....... I live next to a main road, and i would NEVER want ANY kind of sound wall put there. You should know what you're buying before you sign the paperwork. Developers should also be required to establish a PLANTED noise barrier, and restricted from having property lines/back yards etc be too close to roads, not just for noise if thats your concern, but also for safety.... no one wants a UPS truck in their living room.

Or an NJT Bus.

#1260445  by 25Hz

Oh my.

There has been some debate with zoning & building codes requiring post barriers along non-curbed residential properties that butt up against busy roads, also guarding utility poles, as downed wires are a hazard, as would be the pole, and cause utility interruptions.

In any case, anyone have any clue as to the proposed path of the loop?
 #1523904  by Roadgeek Adam

Yet another update yesterday. For fair use....

Central Jersey is getting a new train station, but we don’t know how much it’ll cost
The busiest and fastest rail line in the country is getting a new station in North Brunswick on the Northeast Corridor line.

Gov. Phil Murphy on Wednesday came to the Main Street North Brunswick development, an in-progress residential development located between the NEC and Route 1, to announce an agreement to fund the station.

Once built, the new stop will serve the nearby residential complex, which is being built on the grounds of a former Johnson & Johnson campus and will eventually be made up of 1,800 units.

That agreement with the Middlesex County Improvement Authority comes with a $50 million commitment from the state to get the station started by doing design and engineering work and obtaining permits.

So far, there is no cost estimate for the entire project, said Kevin Corbett, NJ Transit CEO and president.

“It has not been designed, so there is no cost estimate,” Corbett said.

Once there is a cost estimate, officials said they will determine how much of the project will be funded with public and private money, he said.

Golden Homes Development, the owner of the residential units, already has spent $11 million upgrading intersections along Route 1.

A total for $70 million is committed to the station so far — $50 million from the state Transportation Trust Fund and $20 million from Middlesex County, said state Assembly Speaker Craig Coughlin, D-Middlesex.

The station is seen as a way to help ease chronic congestion on Route 1 and putting more people, including residents of Main Street, on trains.

State Senate President Stephen Sweeney, D-Gloucester, said the project shouldn’t be looked at for what it costs, but for the benefits that ultimately result.

“Route 1 traffic is brutal. It adds up to jobs and taxes generated,” Sweeney said. “A the end of the day it will be a net benefit more than a cost.”

The county improvement authority will serve as the project manager and oversee all stages of development.

“This is a new model for NJ Transit,” said Diane Gutierrez-Scaccetti, state transportation commissioner. “What we hope to have is a model train station for all those other municipalities that are looking for one in their communities.”
Let's see if we actually get shovels in the ground this time.
 #1523918  by MACTRAXX

RGA: There are at least two previous topics about the proposed NEC North Brunswick Station:

Mid Line Loop and Station proposed for North Brunswick
www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=124368
New Station at North Brunswick
www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=46464

The former Johnson and Johnson site in Middlesex County is a good location for this new Station and TOD...

MACTRAXX
 #1523920  by Roadgeek Adam

MACTRAXX wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:33 pm RGA: There are at least two previous topics about the proposed NEC North Brunswick Station:

Mid Line Loop and Station proposed for North Brunswick
www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=124368
New Station at North Brunswick
www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=46464

The former Johnson and Johnson site in Middlesex County is a good location for this new Station and TOD...

MACTRAXX
I was trying to find them through search, it wasn't popping up, you can merge them.
 #1524508  by JamesRR

It seems like demolishing/removing Jersey Avenue and creating a larger, more streamlined station here would make sense. Seeing how close these two stations would be. I think this was initially in the plans, esp. with the reverse capability that would not interfere with NEC line operations.
 #1524521  by MACTRAXX

JRR: The J&J property looks to be adjacent to the Adams Amtrak New York Division yard and facility.
This should replace the NEC Line Trenton-bound platform at Jersey Avenue at minimum.

The main reason for the Jersey Avenue Station is the County MU yard. Those trains should continue to run to/from JA
during weekday peak hours. Does anyone know the distance between County and Adams?

Another thought is to name the new station "Adams" or "Adams-North Brunswick" instead of being named
"North Brunswick" which could lead to confusion and/or identification problems with New Brunswick.

Jersey Avenue Station seems to draw riders from either further south on US 1 or from avoiding travel into
Downtown New Brunswick. Those riders from southern Middlesex County could then use the new station.

Good to note that a new station is wanted and needed by the North Brunswick community and not have
significant NIMBY opposition from what we know...MACTRAXX
 #1524548  by njtmnrrbuff

Jersey Avenue Station isn't going anywhere. That station sits in a good location, on the outskirts of New Brunswick near where it touches North Brunswick. It's not too far from Route 1, although yes, people who live in Southern Middlesex County, especially those who live in S. Brunswick and of course a lot of North Brunswick will use North Brunswick Station. You will still get many people use Jersey Avenue and when they can make that a full time station with platforms on both sides of the main line, that will be great! If you live in the southern part of New Brunswick, I think you are a bit closer to Jersey Ave than you are to North Brunswick Station. I want to say that it is about three miles from Jersey Avenue Station to Adams.
 #1525022  by Ken W2KB

25Hz wrote: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:47 am Oh my.

There has been some debate with zoning & building codes requiring post barriers along non-curbed residential properties that butt up against busy roads, also guarding utility poles, as downed wires are a hazard, as would be the pole, and cause utility interruptions.

In any case, anyone have any clue as to the proposed path of the loop?
Zoning is done at the municipal level, and can establish required setbacks, but in New Jersey municipalities do not have the legal authority to establish their own building codes. The State established and amends from time to time the NJ "Uniform Construction Code" and municipalities must follow that State UCC without exception. So if any changes to building codes are to be made, such changes must be done at the NJ State level.
 #1525029  by Roadgeek Adam

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:29 pm Jersey Avenue Station isn't going anywhere. That station sits in a good location, on the outskirts of New Brunswick near where it touches North Brunswick. It's not too far from Route 1, although yes, people who live in Southern Middlesex County, especially those who live in S. Brunswick and of course a lot of North Brunswick will use North Brunswick Station. You will still get many people use Jersey Avenue and when they can make that a full time station with platforms on both sides of the main line, that will be great! If you live in the southern part of New Brunswick, I think you are a bit closer to Jersey Ave than you are to North Brunswick Station. I want to say that it is about three miles from Jersey Avenue Station to Adams.
There would be hell made if Jersey Avenue closed. Lots of businesses around there for industry purposes have workers who take the train to Jersey Avenue for that purpose.