Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak NEC Virginia Regional Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1523608  by gokeefe

Although this video is only a snapshot in time for me it feels like a metaphor for Amtrak Virginia as a whole. A busy, growing service that is providing more service to the Commonwealth with every passing year.
 #1523626  by WhartonAndNorthern

east point wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:14 pm Noticed no 4 quadrant gates. Seems like the rail and auto layout would help ?
Ashland is a quiet zone without 4 quadrant gates. There have been "incidents" and near-misses (and if you search YouTube you'll find them) but none have been serious. Keep in mind track speed through town is 35mph until head end clears.
 #1523640  by Rockingham Racer

I thought that 4-quadrant gates are a requirement for a QZ. And in the situation that this video shows, I would have blown the horn if I were the engineer on the overtaking train [Silver Star, I think] when approaching the head end of the stopped train.
 #1523654  by WhartonAndNorthern

Rockingham Racer wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:09 am I thought that 4-quadrant gates are a requirement for a QZ. And in the situation that this video shows, I would have blown the horn if I were the engineer on the overtaking train [Silver Star, I think] when approaching the head end of the stopped train.
IIRC a risk analysis is done before a quiet zone can be implemented. If the historical accident rate and other risk factors are low, a quiet zone can be approved. If not, mitigation is required such as 4 quadrant gates or a median barrier.

The left turns that cross the tracks are signed with a lit up "NO LEFT TURN" sign that lights up on gate activation.

As an aside, the orange jersey wall going up is the first stage of platform reconstruction alluded to in the station improvements thread.
 #1523689  by ExCon90

gokeefe wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:07 pm Although this video is only a snapshot in time for me it feels like a metaphor for Amtrak Virginia as a whole. A busy, growing service that is providing more service to the Commonwealth with every passing year.
Also, a "teachable moment" about "expect a train on any track, in any direction, at any time."
 #1523932  by gokeefe

This line really caught my attention:
Amtrak representatives tell 10 News Roanoke's ridership is the highest of any individual line in the commonwealth. Since launching in 2017, that's more than 110,000 passengers coming in and out of Roanoke.
That is an absolutely astonishing result.
 #1523936  by mtuandrew

gokeefe wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:03 pm This line really caught my attention:
Amtrak representatives tell 10 News Roanoke's ridership is the highest of any individual line in the commonwealth. Since launching in 2017, that's more than 110,000 passengers coming in and out of Roanoke.
I’m pretty satisfied with that result! Back of envelope, that’s a mean of 75 passengers departing RNK daily, and another 75 arriving (110,000 pax divided by 2 for arrival & departure, divided by 730 days); the year-over-year average is probably a lot higher for 10/31/2018 to 10/31/2019. The eventual New River Valley extension will reduce those numbers probably (just like the Brunswick extension did for Portland), but I expect it and the proposed Bedford infill to raise numbers overall for west-of-Lynchburg traffic.
 #1523946  by Arlington

How did LYH ridership do over that same interval? How many RNK riders were new (vs taken from LYH?).
 #1523954  by Jeff Smith

gokeefe wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:03 pm This line really caught my attention:

DOUBLE-ASTONISHING! I sense a railfan trip for myself coming on...
 #1523960  by Station Aficionado

Per the stats on the Virginia DRPT site, it looks like Roanoke ridership was 53,000 in FY18. Their monthly numbers for FY19 go only through June. But assuming the 110,000 number cited in the new report George linked to, that results in 57,000 riders in FY19. But, IIRC, the service started on like 10/31/17, meaning the FY18 numbers cover only 11 months. That equates to average monthly ridership being slightly lower in FY19 than FY18. Hopefully, FY20 will show some growth.
 #1523963  by gokeefe

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:16 amDOUBLE-ASTONISHING! I sense a railfan trip for myself coming on...
Agreed. We've come so far since the days of the Mountaineer and the Hilltopper. The wiki quotes ridership figures of something like 32 passengers per train let alone ridership at individual stops.

If the numbers are that good in Roanoke one can only imagine what they would be at other stops previously assumed to be "marginal".