Railroad Forums 

• Canal Slip in Hoboken

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1512056  by WashingtonPark

I worked on the committee in my town for the Camden to Glassboro line and while I agree with all of that theoretically, none of us, which included the mayor and business leaders, could understand why it was costing 2.5 billion dollars and taking over 10 years to restore passenger service when the right of way is already there and being used and prior passenger service had previously been run without incident for 150 years. Or why every time an environmental report was finished it was determined it was out of date and needed another multi million dollar study from a consulting firm again. It really has nothing to do with what China, Russia or Gypip is doing, but the inefficient way we handle things here.
By the way, are you related to Vic Borovkov from Pine Hill? My mother-in-law lived 3 doors from him when they were kids and we belonged to the same church when we were in Sicklerville. Vic was a great guy.
 #1512501  by lensovet

As with all regulations, starting new service is not the same as continuing existing service. New fuel economy and emissions regulations apply to new cars, not existing ones. When your town changes zoning ordinances, existing out-of-compliance houses are not required to be torn down but new construction is required to follow the new rules (setbacks, maximum heights, etc). Similarly, I think there is an attitude of taking any money you can get, which might only be sufficient to do a study and not actually resume service.

Have never heard of Vic Borovkov in my life :)
 #1522479  by EuroStar

Work on filling the canal might finally begin soon. The first item in the monthly board meeting this Wednesday is approval of award of the Phase 1 contract to extend the Jersey City Sewer and fill the canal. It is amazing that it took 7 years since Sandy to finally get this close to construction, but I am very glad to see it moving forward.
 #1522550  by Defiant

EuroStar wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:12 pm Work on filling the canal might finally begin soon. The first item in the monthly board meeting this Wednesday is approval of award of the Phase 1 contract to extend the Jersey City Sewer and fill the canal. It is amazing that it took 7 years since Sandy to finally get this close to construction, but I am very glad to see it moving forward.
And this is just Phase I, filling in the Canal. Any idea how long planning for Phase II will take, another 7 - 10 years? This unreal delay just shows a general Government dysfunction around us.
 #1640774  by lensovet

Extension of the Jersey City sewer and filling in of the canal was completed in June 2023.

Phase 2 of the project, construction of the new platforms and track work and associated buildings, was awarded last week. https://www.njtransit.com/press-release ... n-terminal

As a side note, these things take forever for a number of reasons which NJT has zero control over: availability of funding, availability of land in the case of needed land acquisition, and the number of absolutely inane questions asked by bidding contractors. I highly recommend opening an account on BidXpress so you can see this firsthand. The Delco lead project has still not been bid over 6 months after it was originally put out for bids because potential bidders keep asking questions (many of which can be answered by simply reading the bid paperwork) and NJT is required to respond to them. Every time they go through a round of this, if amendments are made in response to these questions, they have to push out the submission deadline by another month or two.