Railroad Forums 

• Septa push pull overview

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1521191  by Silverliner II

mcgrath618 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:36 pm Has SEPTA ever run 8 car trains in revenue service before?
Yes. Last year, for a month, September into October 2018, when Amtrak was replacing the westbound divider switch at Girard interlocking (the one where trains going to the lower or upper levels of 30th Street split), SEPTA had to reduce train service on the Trenton Line during the rush hours. To compensate for the missing trains, most consists were expanded. Two push-pull sets were lengthened to 8-car sets to run on the line for the duration.
 #1521217  by CNJGeep

For tomorrow:
9724 will be 7 cars. 2403 west, 905 east
1703/9728 will be 8 cars. 2404 west, 904 east.
 #1521221  by zebrasepta

Here's the reason why SEPTA leased the MARC cars

https://kywnewsradio.radio.com/articles ... rs-options
SEPTA is offering alternatives to those driving through I-95 reconstruction, which is adding to traffic congestion on the interstate north of Center City and in Bucks County. Starting Monday, SEPTA is increasing capacity and trips on two of its Regional Rail lines.
 #1521384  by Silverliner II

One of the two Trenton push-pull sets (the 9745/9724 set) has been reduced from 8 to 7 cars due to storage limitations at Trenton, by request of Amtrak.
 #1521386  by rcthompson04

Silverliner II wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:52 am One of the two Trenton push-pull sets (the 9745/9724 set) has been reduced from 8 to 7 cars due to storage limitations at Trenton, by request of Amtrak.
Why doens't SEPTA work something out with NJ Transit to store cars at Morrisville?
 #1521390  by Silverliner II

rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:23 am
Silverliner II wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:52 am One of the two Trenton push-pull sets (the 9745/9724 set) has been reduced from 8 to 7 cars due to storage limitations at Trenton, by request of Amtrak.
Why doens't SEPTA work something out with NJ Transit to store cars at Morrisville?
Morrisville is pretty much plugged full in its own right each night. They barely had room to park the AEM-7's/ALP up there when they leased them from SEPTA.
 #1521489  by dcipjr

The MARC cars have been running. They're pretty nice; a little newer-looking than the non-refurbed Bombers, and the lighting is less harsh than the refurbed Bombers. There were some confused looks on the platform when they rolled up.
 #1521495  by rcthompson04

mcgrath618 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:05 am The 8 car Trenton set has been sitting in Powelton overnight now for a few nights... why not in Trenton?
SilverlinerII noted that there are storage issues at Trenton. I wonder if the solution is to run them up as locals in the morning and down as locals in the evening. That is what is done on the Wilmington / Newark line.
 #1521496  by rcthompson04

The storage issues at Trenton made me remember a thought I had a few months ago regarding the CRRC cars when they come into service. Is the plan to run those like the current fleet of push-pull sets with only rush hour service or will there be a push to run some of the push-pull sets all day again?
 #1521501  by mcgrath618

rcthompson04 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:30 am The storage issues at Trenton made me remember a thought I had a few months ago regarding the CRRC cars when they come into service. Is the plan to run those like the current fleet of push-pull sets with only rush hour service or will there be a push to run some of the push-pull sets all day again?
Considering that we're keeping the Comets, I assume they'll reserve the Bilevels for rush hour service and then use Comets on some local runs.
 #1521538  by Silverliner II

mcgrath618 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:05 am The 8 car Trenton set has been sitting in Powelton overnight now for a few nights... why not in Trenton?
The 8-car set is scheduled to deadhead back to Powelton each night after its trip up on train 9747 in the evening. That set does a round trip in the morning (trains 1703/9728). The now-7-car set (trains 9745/9724) remains in Trenton overnight.
rcthompson04 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:26 am
SilverlinerII noted that there are storage issues at Trenton. I wonder if the solution is to run them up as locals in the morning and down as locals in the evening. That is what is done on the Wilmington / Newark line.
Speaking of the Wilmington-Newark set, that train runs express both ways in both rush periods.
 #1521878  by rcthompson04

Looks like one of the Push-Pull sets are out of commission as one did not run this morning (was sitting at Powelton at 712am) and the 9553 is running Silverliner IVs tonight.
 #1521987  by mcgrath618

904 and the eight car set just rolled through Powelton coming off of the Paoli/Thorndale line. Assumedly it is on its way to Wayne Junction.