Railroad Forums 

• New Jersey Transit is failing to expand

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1521311  by Roadgeek Adam

Tom V wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:48 am
Backshophoss wrote:NJT still needs to to train new crews and get it's act together equipment wise,how can you expand without the resources to do so??
The "Christe" years did major damage to NJT internally,it takes time to undo that damage!
Wait a couple of years and see what state NJT is condition wise at that point
There are too many trains cancelled due to crew and equipment issues NOW!
If the Secaucus loop is included in the project that will free up capacity at Hoboken for new trains such as the Lackawanna cut-off, West Shore, NYSW etc..
Nothing says pointless as commute 2.5-3 hours from E. Stroudsburg/Del Gap/Blairstown/Andover to just transfer at Hoboken. If you're going to offer the service at all, you goddamn offer it to NY Penn.
 #1521324  by ExCon90

I suspect that bus-driver training is a lot less complicated and time-consuming than for engineers and conductors. I've read that the time required for an engineer is 21 months; I can't imagine bus-driver training taking anywhere near that. That's the real problem with the neglect of the Christie years--it takes a long time to dig out, and there are no short cuts.
 #1521334  by Tom V

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:10 pm
Tom V wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:48 am
Backshophoss wrote:NJT still needs to to train new crews and get it's act together equipment wise,how can you expand without the resources to do so??
The "Christe" years did major damage to NJT internally,it takes time to undo that damage!
Wait a couple of years and see what state NJT is condition wise at that point
There are too many trains cancelled due to crew and equipment issues NOW!
If the Secaucus loop is included in the project that will free up capacity at Hoboken for new trains such as the Lackawanna cut-off, West Shore, NYSW etc..
Nothing says pointless as commute 2.5-3 hours from E. Stroudsburg/Del Gap/Blairstown/Andover to just transfer at Hoboken. If you're going to offer the service at all, you goddamn offer it to NY Penn.
Totally agree. Which has me wondering if the proposed Secaucus loop were to be eliminated from the Gateway project would it lose support? Keep the Main/Bergen/Pascack valley line trains at Hoboken and open up more slots for NEC, NJCL, RVL, M&E, Montclair as well as future projects such as Lackawanna cut-off, West Trenton, MOM.